Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection
D1944.1  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (111.46 Kb) HTML [5 hits]
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Administrative History of Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation
  • Scope and Content Summary
  • Index Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation collection next hit
    Creator: Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation
    Dates: 1921-1990
    Extent: 9.0 cubic feet
    Repository: Claremont Colleges. Library.
    1090 Columbia Avenue
    Claremont, California 91711
    Abstract: The previous hit Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection next hit contains correspondence, financial material, newspaper clippings, publicity announcements, and materials documenting the Fine Arts Foundations' many philanthropic activities conducted to support fine arts at Scripps College. The foundations' philanthropic activities include the Cinema Series, the Exhibition and Speaker Program, and the Limited Edition Series. The collection covers the years 1921 to 1990 with the bulk of the material ranging from 1934 to 1957 and from 1970 to 1987.
    Collection Number: D1944.1
    Physical Location: Ella Strong Denison Library
    language: English

    Administrative Information

    Restrictions on Access

    This collection is open for research with permission from Ella Strong Denison Library staff.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish must be submitted in writing to Denison Library.

    Related Materials at Ella Strong Denison Library

    Scripps College Press Collection

    Separated Materials

    Oversize material was removed from the collection and filed separately in oversize boxes

    Preferred Citation

    previous hit Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection next hit . Ella Strong Denison Library, Scripps College, Claremont, California.

    Acquisition Information

    Deposited by Denison Library as part of the Scripps College Archives.

    Processing Information

    Preliminary arrangement by library staff. Processed by History Associates Incorporated, 2005

    Accruals

    No additions to this collection are anticipated.

    Other Finding Aids

    Scripps College Press

    Administrative History of Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation

    The Fine Arts Foundation of Scripps College was founded in 1935 by Dr. Ernest Jaqua, President of the college, Mrs. George Gerlinger of Portland, and Mrs. Virginia Judy Esterly, assistant to Dr. Jaqua. Following the arrival of Millard Sheets to the college, a tremendous expansion and interest in art occurred. However, at the time, there were only two academic rooms in Balch Hall dedicated to the art department. So, with its primary purpose to build a studio to house the work in Fine Arts at Scripps College, the Fine Arts Foundation was established.
    The initial meeting was held on May 9, 1935, during which the Constitution for the Foundation was formed. The objective of the Foundation remained its core objective until its demise: “The Fine Arts Foundation is founded for the purpose of developing greater opportunities for the study of Fine Arts at Scripps College through funds secured by memberships, gifts, and legacies for scholarships and the endowment of scholarships in this field; funds for the endowment of art faculty salaries in Fine and Applied Arts; funds for the erection of a studio type building; funds for festivals and exhibits at Scripps College; and funds for such other needs as may arise in connection with the development of the work in Fine Arts.”
    One of the main duties of the Foundation was to arrange monthly exhibits and lectures with artists, in order to attract members. At the end of the first year there were thirty-nine members. With the membership fees the Foundation bought a kiln to fire pottery, which students created under instruction from William Manker, and to build a concrete floor under the kiln. Adult classes were also given by Manker, Millard Sheets, Mr. Gleason, Albert Stewart, and Miss Richardson. Memberships, which ranged varied from a minimum of $10 a year, increased consistently to a total of well over three hundred in 1963.
    From special gifts collected by members of the Foundation for the first year-in-a-half, a fund of over $31,000 was raised. These donations were used to construct three rooms of the studio building. Following a meeting in Pasadena in 1936, showing work of the Scripps staff, an anonymous donor contributed $20,000, and the first unit of the studio building was completed. This same donor, ceasing to be anonymous, also contributed the money needed to build the Florence Rand Lang Studio. With this contribution the Foundation was able to fulfill one of the original purposes for which it was established.
    The creation of scholarships, which was the second purpose of the Foundation, became its main emphasis in 1963. The first scholarship was initially endowed by Josephine P. Everett, with $250-$500 added annually by the Foundation, interest from which is awarded to an undergraduate student at Scripps College. The Josephine P. Everett Fund reached its goal of $10,000 in 1953. A second scholarship endowment fund, instigated at the request of Millard Sheets, was built up to $6,000, and provided an annual grant of $300 to an outstanding graduate art student chosen by the Scripps art faculty. In May 1960, the Foundation began an endowment for a second undergraduate Scripps art scholarship. In its first year the scholarship awarded a $300 art scholarship, with a planned increase up to $600, from a full endowment of $10,000.
    In order to raise additional funds for scholarship purposes, the Foundation planned more monthly exhibits and lectures. These included painting, ceramics, sculpture, architecture, and printing representing France, China, Japan, Mexico, Germany, England, and the United States. The Foundation also planned special programs and events, such as the Cinema Series, and the annual Limited Edition Series to raise funds.
    During the Foundations existence it received a number of gifts, including paintings, ceramics, and prints. It also purchased a number of faculty and student artwork to add to its permanent collection. The Foundation also assisted in the construction of the mosaics in the Ivy Court, and in the main court of the Art Building, and the fresco in the Memorial Garden.

    Scope and Content Summary

    The previous hit Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection next hit contains correspondence, financial material, newspaper clippings, publicity announcements, and materials documenting the Fine Arts Foundations' many philanthropic activities conducted to support fine arts at Scripps College. The foundations' philanthropic activities include the Cinema Series, the Exhibition and Speaker Program, and the Limited Edition Series. The collection covers the years 1921 to 1990 with the bulk of the material ranging from 1934 to 1957 and from 1970 to 1987.
    With the exception of Series 18, Audio Material, and a few photographic prints scattered throughout the collection, this collection consists largely of textual records. Textual record types primarily include correspondence, newspaper clippings, publicity announcements, reports, notes, financial statements, and financial exppense records.
    The largest series in the collection consists of administrative records. Other large series include the correspondence files, and a series containing records pertaining to the exhibition and speaker program.
    The collection is organized into twenty series:
    • Series 1: Administrative Records, 1935-1987, 1.5 cubic feet
    • Series 2: Artists, 1964-1979, .5 cubic feet
    • Series 3: Benefits, 1944-1988, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 4: Campus Unit, 1935-1941, .15 cubic feet
    • Series 5: Celebrations, 1961-1967, .10 cubic feet
    • Series 6: Cinema Series, 1947-1964, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 7: Collections, 1942-1971, .10 cubic feet
    • Series 8: Correspondence, 1935-1983, .80 cubic feet
    • Series 9: Docent Records, 1921-1978, .15 cubic feet
    • Series 10: Exhibition and Speaker Program, 1935-1990, 1.15 cubic feet
    • Series 11: Financial Records and Gifts, 1935-1984, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 12: Lang Art Building, 1938-1974, .15 cubic feet
    • Series 13: Limited Edition Series, 1944-1964, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 14: Membership, 1934-1973, .10 cubic feet
    • Series 15: Publicity, 1958-1988, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 16: Rental Gallery, 1952-1975, .60 cubic feet
    • Series 17: Scholarships, 1937-1984, .10 cubic feet
    • Series 18: Audio Material, 1973-1982, .25 cubic feet
    • Series 19: Non-Scripps College Related Material, 1945-1985
    • Series 20: Oversize Material

    Index Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

    Subjects:

    Fine Arts Foundation--Archives.
    Scripps College (Claremont, Calif.)--Archival resources.

    Genres and Forms of Materials

    Audiotapes.
    Correspondence.
    Photographs.