Jump to Content
What is OAC?
> UC Berkeley
> University Archives
Finding Aid to a Centennial Exhibit from the Nine Campuses of the University of California, 1868-1968
UARC PIC 1900
Online items available
Contact UC Berkeley::University Archives
View entire collection guide
Search this collection
Entire Collection Guide
Table of contents
41 - 57 of 57 results
San Diego campus. First building constructed was completed in 1910, a two-story cement structure containing three laboratories, a small library amd a public aquarium-museum. The structure was designated the George H. Scripps Building in memory of Miss Scripps' deceased brother.
San Diego campus. The Institution as it appeared in the early 1920s. Large building in the center is the library dedicated in 1916. That same year the thousand-foot pier had been completed.
San Diego campus. In 1959, the San Diego City Council offered the University a gift of 500 acres of pueblo land above La Jolla, the area was designated by the Regents to become a general campus of the University. Ground-breaking exercises in May 1961 marked the beginning of construction of the School of Science and Engineering Building.
San Diego campus. Formal academic ceremonies inaugurating John S. Galbraith as chancellor were held November 5, 1965. The inaugural ceremonies were held in the plaza east of Urey Hall. Main speaker was Dr. Fred H. Harrington, president of the University of Wisconsin.
San Diego campus. Revelle College (center of photo) is first of 12 colleges to be built on the 1,000-acre campus. The Second College, which will also accommodate 1,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students, is located across the road (right of Revelle College).
San Diego campus. Nobel Prize awarded to Maria Goeppert Mayer, only woman besides Marie Curie (1903) to win the coveted Nobel Prize for physics, for work on the shell model for atomic nuclei. Photograph, taken in December 1963, shows Mrs. Mayer approaching the King of Sweden to receive Nobel medal.
Davis campus. This 1967 aerial photograph looks to the northwest and shows Solano Park, married student apartments, in the foreground. The central campus area circles the open, tree-lined quadrangle.
Santa Barbara campus. In 1909 Blake School became the Santa Barbara State Manual Training School, devoted exclusively to teacher training in manual arts and home economics. In 1913 the school relocated hear the old mission on a 14 acre site known as the Riviera campus. Pictured is the first commencement held May 1913 in front of the unfinished quad.
Santa Barbara campus. In 1919 the school became Santa Barbara State Normal School, in 1921 the name was changed to State Teachers College and in 1935 the school became Santa Barbara State College. In 1944 the college was transferred to the university, and 1,464 students went through the registrations lines of the new university campus in 1949.
Santa Barbara campus. In February 1948 a faculty committee recommended a new campus be established on an ocean front Marine Air Base nine miles west of Santa Barbara. In October 1948 the federal government turned over the base to the university for $1.00. Building started in 1952.
Santa Barbara campus. Broad walkways are typical of the modern Santa Barbara campus. The Santa Ynez mountains form a backdrop here for North Hall, Administration Building and Campbell Hall.
Santa Cruz campus. First commencement ceremonies at UCSC were June 11, 1967. Scene was the Upper Quarry. Faculty and graduating seniors of Stevenson College march in the traditional academic processing behind the college banner.
Santa Cruz campus. Aerial view (June 1967) depicts only about one-tenth of the 2,000 acre campus. In the lower left are the trailers which served as temporary housing; above them are the central services (administration), library and natural sciences buildings. Cowell College in center, with Stevenson College to the lower right. Crown College is above and to the right of Cowell.
Irvine campus. The new campus came into being in 1961 when 1,000 acres were offered to the university by the Irvine Ranch Company. New campus design on the rolling fields was directed by William Pereira and Associates.
Irvine campus. Classes opened in fall 1965. Academic buildings partly ring campus park from which future structures will radiate in a spoke-like fashion. Completed buildings are: Science Lecture Hall, Natural Science, Fine Arts, Humanities-Social Science, The Commons, and Administration-Library Building. To right of center are the Mesa Court residence halls.
Irvine campus. Dedication ceremonies for the new campus were conducted on June 20, 1964, with President Lyndon B. Johnson as principal speaker.
Berkeley campus. On March 23, 1962, President John F. Kennedy addressed the university's largest audience at Charter Day ceremonies in Memorial Stadium. In the procession with President Kennedy is University President Clark Kerr followed by President Emeritus Robert B. Sproul.
41 - 57 of 57 results
Information for Researchers
Scope and Contents Note
The Online Archive of California is an initiative of the California Digital Library.