Jump to Content
What is OAC?
> UC Berkeley
> University Archives
Finding Aid to a Centennial Exhibit from the Nine Campuses of the University of California, 1868-1968
UARC PIC 1900
Online items available
Request items ↗
Contact UC Berkeley::University Archives
View entire collection guide
Search this collection
Entire Collection Guide
Table of contents
1 - 20 of 57 results
College of California. Founded in 1855, the College of California in downtown Oakland was the predecessor of the University. After the University was chartered in 1868, classes were held at this site until 1873.
Berkeley campus. The first four-year class to enter the University was known as 'The Twelve Apostles' and graduated in 1873. Seated: G. Edwards, L. Hawkins, F. Rhoda, E. Scott, G. Ainsworth, J. Bolton; standing: J. Reinstein, F. Otis, J. Budd (governor of California, 1895-99), T. Woodward, C. Wetmore, N. Newmark.
Berkeley campus. View of campus in 1888 from corner of Dana Street and Allston Way. Picket fence was campus limits along Strawberry Creek. Buildings left to right: North Hall, Mining Building, Bacon Library, South Hall, and Harmon Gymnasium.
Berkeley campus. Lecture classroom in South Hall in 1898.
Berkeley campus. Civil engineering students in their 'junior plug hats' in 1898. Distinctive garb was a tradition of each class. Hats were colorfully decorated by their owners.
Berkeley campus. Card stunts started at the Big Game between California and Stanford in 1908 using colored hats. Photo shows first stunts using stiff cardboard in 1915 in Berkeley rooting section.
Berkeley campus. The Greek Theatre was filled in September 1919 to give President Woodrow Wilson a tumultuous welcome. Seated with Wilson is President Emeritus Benjamin Ide Wheeler.
Berkeley campus. The 1920 Wonder Team-described as the greatest college football team of all time, was undefeated in 5 years. This 1920 team, coached by Andy Smith, scored 510 points for the season against 14 for its opponents and climaxed its record with a 28-0 victory over Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.
Berkeley campus. With the completion of Sather Gate in 1913, Telegraph Avenue and Allston Way became a spot for student rallies. It took on added significance as a 'Hyde Park' in the mid-1930s. Pictured is a September 1940 rally to oppose military conscription.
Berkeley campus. On September 17, 1923, a grass fire, driven by the wind, quickly became a holocaust sweeping down on the homes surrounding the campus.
Berkeley campus. Led by Edwin C. Voorhies, University marshal, Harry Truman, President of the United States (left) and University President Sproul, the academic procession enters the California Memorial Stadium for the commencement exercises of 1948.
Mt. Hamilton. Beginning with a few buildings in 1888, a series of observatories have been constructed along the summit ridge of Mt. Hamilton, located a few miles southeast of San Jose.
Berkeley campus. During the 1930s Ernest Lawrence and associates built accelerators of increasing size and energy. Lawrence is pictured in 1938 at the controls of the 37-inch cyclotron in the old radiation laboratory on campus.
Berkeley campus. The bevatron, pictured in 1965 shortly before major modifications. The bevatron, built with AEC funds, has been a world center for study in high-energy and nuclear physics.
Berkeley campus. April 22, 1960 ceremony at Founders' Rock noted the beginning of Contra Costa Academy. Left to right: Regent Donald McLaughlin, Governor Brown, President Clark Kerr.
Berkeley campus. The number of Berkeley's Nobel Laureates gathered for this 1960 photograph. They are from left to right with date of Nobel award: Owen Chamberlain (1959), Edwin M. McMillan (1951), William F. Giauque (1949), John H. Northrup (1946), Wendell M. Stanley (1946), Emilio G. Segre (1959), and Glenn T. Seaborg (1951).
Los Angeles campus. The predecessor of the UCLA campus was the Vermont Avenue campus, established in 1914 as the Normal School. In 1919 it became the Southern Branch of the university. Millspaugh Hall was the center of student and administrative activity, and occasionally an outdoor assembly.
Los Angeles campus. In 1925 a site in Westwood was selected for the new Southern Branch campus. Los Angeles citizens raised a million dollars to purchase the 383 acre parcel of land.
Los Angeles campus. The UCLA campus as it appeared in 1929 when instruction began on the new campus. Enrollment totaled 6,175. Buildings around the central court were Royce Hall, Library, Kinsey Hall, Haines Hall, Moore Hall is under construction.
Los Angeles campus. Light stunts were originated by UCLA rooting section in 1930s and later developed with a card stunt technique in 1953. Colored light stunts are special trademark of UCLA at night football games.
1 - 20 of 57 results
Information for Researchers
Scope and Contents Note
The Online Archive of California is an initiative of the California Digital Library.
Copyright © 2009 The Regents of The University of California