― 1 ―
COOPERATIVE EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
THIS COOPERATIVE EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT Made this _________________________ day of _________________________, 194_, between the United States of America, hereinafter called the "Government," and _________________________, a corporation organized and existing under and by virtue of the laws of the State of _________________________ hereinafter called the "Employer."
WHEREAS, The Government and the Employer wish to cooperate in making agricultural workers available to alleviate the present shortage of agricultural labor and to aid in the successful prosecution of the war.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the undertakings hereinafter stated, the Government and the Employer agree as follows:
1. The Government shall use its best efforts to recruit and transport agricultural workers for employment by the Employer, from points of origin or intermediate points in the United States or Mexico, to _________________________, _________________________, _________________________, _________________________, and _________________________, all in the State of _________________________, hereinafter called "destination points," and, upon completion of that employment, to the points of origin, or to such intermediate points in the United States as the Government shall determine to be proper.
2. The Employer shall employ, exclusively as agricultural workers, _____ agricultural workers (if transported by the Government to the destination points designated above, not later than _________________________, 194_____, the number of workers to be transported to each destination point being as follows:
). for, as to each worker, at least seventy-five (75) percent of the work days, each day in the week except Sunday to be considered a work day, between the day following the day of the arrival of such worker at the destination point of such worker and _________________________, 194_____, hereinafter called the "period of employment," upon the following terms:
― 2 ―
― 3 ―
3. The Employer shall pay to the Government, to be held and expended by it in trust, subject to the terms of this cooperative agreement, the sum of $5.00 for each such worker transported to the above named destination point by the Government. Each payment shall be made upon demand by the Government after the arrival of the worker at the specified destination point. The Employer at the time of the execution of this agreement shall deposit with the Government as an advance to be applied by it to the payment of said sums, the sum of $—. The Government shall refund to the Employer as soon as practicable after termination of employment hereunder, such part of the sum so deposited as the Government is not entitled to under the first two sentences of this paragraph.
4. The Government shall determine from time to time, and its determination shall be conclusive, whether the Employer has paid all sums to be paid by him hereunder, and shall have the right to pay (as subsistence allowances or otherwise) to the persons it determines to be entitled thereto all or any part of any such sums which it determines have not been paid, in which case the Employer shall repay to the Government, upon demand by it, all sums so paid, together with interest thereupon at the rate of five (5) percent per annum from the date or dates of such payments by the Government, to be held and expended by the Government in trust subject to the terms of this cooperative agreement.
5. The sums paid to the Government under paragraphs 3 and 4 above shall be held by it in trust, and used and expended within and for the program (of which this agreement is a part) to provide an adequate supply and distribution of labor to produce, harvest, and process crops essential to the war effort. The Government may pool said sums with other funds available for said program, and shall not be required to keep separate accounts or records therefor.
― 4 ―
6. The Employer shall keep full and complete records of the employment and wages of each worker under this agreement, using for such purposes forms to be supplied by the Government. Such records shall be at all times open to inspection and examination by the Government, which shall be entitled to make copies thereof. The Employer shall also file with the Government such reports concerning said employment and wages as the Government may from time to time require.
7. All rights, privileges, and powers conferred herein by the Government shall be exercised in its behalf by the Administrator of the Farm Security Administration, United States Department of Agriculture, or his duly authorized representative.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Government and the Employer have executed this agreement as of the date first above written.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
By_________________________Farm Security Administration
United States Department of Agriculture