Oust Screaming Residents
From Site of Dodger Park

LOS ANGELES, MAY 9—(AP)—Forty men, women and children huddled around a campfire early today in protest against eviction from the Chavez Ravine site of the new Los Angeles Dodgers baseball stadium.

They awaited the arrival of city bulldozers to raze more homes.

Fifteen residents were evicted from three condemned homes amid screaming, crying and cursing yesterday.

Manuel Arechiga, 71, pitched a makeshift tent for his wife, Abrana, 63, their two daughters and five grandchildren.

JOINED BY FRIENDS and relatives, they sang songs around the campfire through the night.

The Arechigas had been evicted yesterday and their home for 36 years bulldozed to rubble.

City Councilman Ed Roybal visited the campsite during the night.

"This is not morally right and is very cruel," he said. "I will bring it up in City Council on Monday in an effort to determine why this decision to move these people was so abruptly put out.

"I believe this was deliberately put out on Friday because officials of the court realized the City Council would not be in session over the weekend."

[illegible data] sheriff's deputies moved in to carry out the evictions yesterday, Mrs. Arechiga shouted in Spanish:

"Why don't they play ball in (Mayor) Poulson's backyard—not in ours!"

POULSON supported the stadium deal.

Arechiga told newsmen his home was condemned for $10,500, but claimed it was worth $17,000.

The mayor's office said the home was condemned years ago, before the Dodgers came to town. The land was taken under eminent domain powers as a site for a housing development which never came about. The sale to the Dodgers came after the housing plan had been scrapped.

Fifty newsmen, photographers and television cameramen waited with Arechiga, his wife, and their two daughters yesterday for sheriff's deputies to arrive. A TV station's helicopter hovered overhead.

AMID SHOUTING and cursing, the deputies arrived and carried one of the women bodily out the door.

The others went—but not quietly. One threw a stone.

Ten minutes later, the roar of two giant bulldozers drowned out Mrs. Arechiga's sobs as she sat on a curb and watched the machine reduce the frail dwelling to rubble.

Residents in the other two homes left quietly.