1

Minutes
Board Meeting, June 30, 1977

MEMBERS PRESENT: Williams, Taylor, Rowan, Cole, and Walker.

VISITORS PRESENT: Enders, Steiner, Ray, Clarke, Hughes, Peechem, Funk, Bleich, Draper, Zukas, Donaldson, Hagan, Rogers, Jacobson.

Before conducting business, the Board unanimously agreed to appoint Hale Zukas as acting Board member in order to have a quorum.

Item #1...Media Task Force

Draper: There was a meeting during this past week in which I met with Jerry, Bob, and Larry. We discussed the possible relationship of CIL and Standard Oil Corporation through this Media Task Force project. Any negotiations will have to include the CIL administration, possibly through Larry. I am concerned that CIL profit financially from this project. Bob Funk is working on incorporating Media Task Force and Jerry says that the project funding is no longer contingent on CIL's involvement. However, I still feel that if CIL is involved that we should do so on all levels and receive financial remuneration.

Clarke: The Media Task Force has already written a statement of intent that CIL receive 20% off the top.

Draper: It is CIL policy that any indirect costs be built into a project. Perhaps we should clear up just what the package is.

Funk: Chevron wants a film study of the disabled that it can sponsor. The component making this film will:

  1. show what the disabled can do
  2. train parallel crews, one disabled and one not. This will be a consciousness raising experience on the one hand, and a training program on the other.
  3. work with the trained crew of disabled in job development and film projects.

Bleich: We will do a definitive presentation of what CIL is. We want to give CIL credibility and explain its programs.

Draper: I like the idea, but what about any changes and what is CIL's role in this?

Bleich: There is no question about CIL having total control. We will make the people here part of the process.


2

Cole: There are a couple of dimensions which concern me:

  1. The film has to have positive value.
  2. There will be a problem getting disabled people into a new employment field.
  3. The overall finances. We need to have a hard contractural structure on the finances, and I would like to discuss that aspect.

Funk: Why not approve the project in principle, and set up a committee of three to meet with the Media Task Force?

Cole: That's not personally acceptable. We agreed last month in principle and to be a front. We need to agree under what conditions we would find this package acceptable.

Steiner: Media and communications is one of the hardest areas of employment for the disabledto crack. With or without CIL many disabled people are interested in this project. We need to resolve our problems quickly.

Bleich: Is it possible to form an organization combining both CIL and Media Task Force?

Cole: I see two ways open here:

  1. Media Task Force incorporates itself and asks CIL to join in the project. They then contract for use of our facility, time, advice etc.
  2. CIL can be the conduit for funds in which case I hope the Board would want a firm management plan first.

Clarke: We could also have an umbrella organization of Media Task Force and CIL with Standard Oil Corporation controlling the funds.

Ray: Is CIL interested in creating a structure to handle the finances?

Draper: Our administrative involvement would be to insure that the contract is fulfilled. Who would be liable for any shortage of funds?

Ray: If that liability were removed would it be a cleaner deal for CIL?

Bleich: The funding could go to Media Task Force as a separate entity and we could then contract with CIL to handle those funds.

Draper: That sounds good but we will have to talk about it.

Cole: Make us an offer and we will respond.

Bleich: This contract will be a joint effort and CIL can get what it wants.

Cole: We don't want to be a front. I move that:

The Board of Directors of CIL directs the Executive Director to not enter into a contract to be the prime performer for the film


3
making and training project but instead that the chairperson and designates meet with Media Task Force contingent upon there being corporate forces to deal with.

Steiner: Is it a conflict of interest for a CIL staff member to be involved in Media Task Force negotiating that?

Zukas: The CIL negotiating team should not include people involved with Media Task Force.

Draper: I agree.

Rowan: I would like to explore the motion. Is it to CIL's benefit or detriment? Are there any benefits we could miss by not being the prime contractor?

Bleich: The intent is to protect CIL against any liability of default. If CIL were to control directly it would give you more credibility and control of funds. But there is also the prospect that in the future CIL will have the opportunity to contract with Chevron.

Rowan: It would seem that our prime entry would be through this project.

Bleich: Standard Oil Corporation is pinning a lot on using CIL as a model. They won't go elsewhere.

Draper: I was not made aware of that information.

Cole: We would not be content with a structure that doesn't allow CIL control and supervision. We would insist on control that would not be comfortable for Media Task Force.

Bleich: Would it be acceptable for CIL Board of Directors members to sit on the Media Task Force Board?

Williams: No.

Steiner: I recommend that the Board of Directors consult with the Computer Training Program about their experience with Standard Oil Corporation.

Zukas: Seconds Cole's motion.

Discussion: Rowan inquired about the appointment procedure. Hughes commented on the negative attitude shown by CIL over this project. Suggested that we take a more positive and equal part. That immediate action is required. He alluded to a letter written by Heumannas destroying the former feeling of agreement. Steiner and Ray commented on how the delay now might cost CIL some good will later. Rowan suggested that with such large sums of money CIL cannot afford any errors. If Chevron could guarantee a no loss contract we would listen. Hughes like this approach.


4

Draper: Does Chevron have any difficulty with an indirect cost rate?

Hughes: We can only answer that when the contract is written.

Cole: I feel we're being pressured to keep the issue open as to whether CIL acts as a front. I've not heard any good argument for us to be the prime contractor.

Rowan: I have some feelings about us losing some benefits by not being the prime contractor. The issue is of possibly being financially burned or benefitted. The safe way is to be secondary contractor to Media Task Force.

Cole: We cannot agree to be the prime contractor but we can express the strongest possible support for the project.

Zukas: I'm sorry that Jerry left before I had a chance to say that my interpretation of the motion is that it would allow Media Task Force and CIL to work it out without undo interference with the other.

Rowan: Then it is the intent of the Board to pass a resolution to expedite the project but for Media Task Force to be a separate entity?

Bleich: Another alternative is for CIL Board members to serve on the Media Task Force Board by CIL creating a subsidiary corporation.

Steiner: We have to work toward a more positive approach. We must present ourselves as more together to business. We must learn to communicate our ideas in a better way.

Cole: I move that the Board of Directors lends its strongest support to the Media Task Force proposal but that we feel the best way to manage it is to let Media Task Force do the prime negotiating with Chevron and that CIL will appoint people to negotiate with the Media Task Force group.

Walker: Second.

Roll call vote - aye - Cole, Walker, Rowan, Taylor, Zukas.

Item # 2...Para Legal Employment Project.

Peechem: The proposal is briefly outlined in the handout and the figures given are the entire budget.

Cole: Seems like a fine idea.

Walker: I move that the proposal presented by Jim Peechem be approved.

Rowan: Second.

Vote: unanimous - motion carried.

Discussion: Cole belatedly regretted approval due to the proposal being limited to Berkeley residents. Steiner responded by informing


5
Cole of her overload of clients and of the impractical aspects of covering too broad an area. Peechem also said that once the contractural obligations are met that they can accept clients outside the area. Cole reiterated that CIL policy is that all people be served.

Item #3...Testing of Aids for V.A.

Enders: Gave a brief oral presentation of the written proposal.

Rowan: Since the proposal is written to pick up existing jobs at CIL, I hope that the hiring procedures can be resolved prior to the processing of these job opportunities.

Steiner: I suggest that the personnel policy changes proposed be presented at the next Board meeting.

Draper: Long past due.

Cole: I recommend that the chairperson get the executive committee to move on the proposed changes in the personnel policy by the next Board meeting.

Rowan: I move that the Board of Directors of CIL approve the proposal submitted by Sandi Enders for contracting with the Veterans Administration for the testing of rehabilitation devices.

Taylor: Seconds.

Unanimous vote - motion passes.

Williams: Meeting is adjourned.