Scope and Content
Title: Dietrich & Leistner Realtors Records,
Date (inclusive): 1884-1955
Collection number: Mss93
Extent: 6.25 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Dietrich & Leistner Realtors Records, Mss93, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
Dietrich, Franz Joseph
Leistner, George W.
Grunsky, Eugene M. (1859-1914)
Stockton Terminal and Eastern Railroad
Real estate developers -California -Stockton
Real estate development -California -San Joaquin County
Stockton (Calif.) -History -Sources
San Joaquin County (Calif.) -History -Sources
Railroads -California -San Joaquin County
Deeds -California -San Joaquin County
Under various company names, Eugene M. Grunsky, George W. Leistner, F. Joseph Dietrich
and his sons bought, developed and sold real estate in Stockton and San Joaquin county,
California between 1889 and the present. Their companies dealt equally in agricultural,
commercial, and residential properties, but they were particularly active in the
residential development of east and north Stockton during the early 1920s.
Eugene M. Grunsky (1859-1914), son of a well-to-do Stockton lumber merchant, entered the
real estate business shortly after his graduation from Stockton High School (1880). He
was in partnership for several years with Monroe D. Eaton (1889-1893). When Eaton formed
his own company, Grunsky launched the firm of Nelson, Grunsky and Franklin (1894-1902).
George Leistner (1878-1930) became Eugene Grunsky's real estate business partner after
study at Stanford Law School (1904). Following graduation from Stockton High School
(1893), F. Joseph Dietrich (1875-1950) became a deputy county clerk (1895) under
Grunsky's brother, Otto, who was San Joaquin County Clerk for many years. Dietrich worked
in that capacity until leaving to form a partnership with Eugene M. Grunsky and George W.
Leistner (1905). This firm, known as Grunsky, Dietrich and Leistner, flourished until
Grunsky's death (1914). It then continued as the Dietrich and Leistner Co. until George
Leistner's death (1930) after which it became (and remains) the F. J. Dietrich Co.
Scope and Content
Many of the materials in this collection are personal papers of F. Joseph Dietrich, or
his son, F. J. Jr.. They represent both their involvement with the Stockton Terminal and
Eastern Railroad and their real estate activities during the period in which their
company was known as Dietrich & Leistner (1915-1931) and the F.J. Dietrich Co. (1932-).
The papers consist of correspondence, financial records, advertising copy, maps, and,
above all, real estate documents--deeds, mortgages, leases, etc. As such, they provide a
substantial resource for students of real estate development in California and of the
history of Stockton.