Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Carson & Colorado Railroad Company records, 1881-1901
BANC MSS P-G 232  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (65.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This fragmentary collection consists of correspondence, 1884-1901; station ledgers and accounts, 1886-1895; miscellaneous financial records, 1881-1896; register of waybills, 1896-1900; rate books, 1883-1884, 1892-1897; passenger statistics book, 1881-1884; and related materials.
Background
The Carson & Colorado Railroad Company was incorporated in Nevada on May 10, 1880 as a narrow gauge extension of the parent Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Rails were laid south from Mound House, Nevada on the Virginia & Truckee during 1880-1883 through the communities of Wabuska, Hawthorne, Belleville, Candelaria, Laws, and Owenyo to Hawley, later renamed Keeler, California--some 300 miles south of Mound House. Consolidation of three separate operating divisions and reorganization as the Carson & Colorado Railway Company occurred on February 27, 1892. With general offices and shops at Carson City, Nevada, the Carson & Colorado was operated by joint V. & T. and C. & C. officers as a feeder or branch of the V. & T.; its sole President and General Superintendent was Henry Marvin Yerington. Control of the C. & C. was negotiated by major stockholder Darius Ogden Mills with sale on March 1, 1900 to the Southern Pacific Railroad which subsequently operated the line under the name of the Nevada & California Railway Company beginning in May 1905. In February of 1912 the Nevada & California was absorbed into the Southern Pacific System and portions of the original 1880 right-of-way continue in present operation.
Extent
Number of containers: 1 carton and 3 packages
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research.