Miscellaneous correspondence, ephemera and papers of the Central Pacific Railroad Company, including one group of letters
and reports related to the question of refunding Central Pacific Railroad Company debt.
The Central Pacific Railroad Company was established in 1861. It was financed by the "Big Four," Charles Crocker, Mark Hopkins,
Collis P. Huntington, and Leland Stanford and by land grants, subsidies and loans from federal, state and local government
resources. Construction began on January 8, 1863 and on May 10, 1869 the railroad was completed to Promontory Point, Utah,
where it met with the Union Pacific. The "Big Four" also acquired the Southern Pacific Railroad. In 1899 after much negotiation
between the Central Pacific and the United States government settlement was made which eventually brought about repayment
of the loan made by the United States. The Central Pacific Railroad was absorbed by the Southern Pacific in 1899.