Consists of the records of Automotive Machinist Union, Lodge No. 1305, originally founded in San Francisco and later including
Marin County, Oakland, and Eureka. The collection spans the years 1919 to 1970, and includes minutes of the executive board,
bylaws, correspondence, agreements, ledgers, a roll book, membership applications, clearance cards, organizing leaflets, legal
cases, correspondence with the Grand Lodge, and records of a sister machinists union, Lodge No. 1414.
Automotive Machinist Lodge (AMU) No. 1305, a local lodge of the International Association of Machinists (IAM), obtained its
charter on June 24th 1919. Local No. 1305 was originally based in San Francisco, first at 107 Valencia and then at 1750 Market
Street, until it moved in 1988 to the current location at 150 South Blvd., San Mateo. Unfortunately no printed history of
the AMU Local No. 1305 exists, but for a more general account of the IAM see Mark Perlman's The Machinists; a New Study in American Trade Unionism (1961). Richard Prime Boyden's unpublished thesis The San Francisco Machinists from Depression to Cold War 1930-1950, provides an account of machinists in the Bay Area.
5.1 cubic ft. (5 cartons, 3 boxes)
Copyright has not been assigned to the Labor Archives & Research Center. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from materials must be submitted in writing
to the Director of the Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of the Labor Archives & Research Center as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be
obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.