Synanon was founded by Charles Dederich, Sr. in 1958. Synanon's detoxification therapy attracted wealthy drug and alcohol
abusers with chapters in San Francisco, Tulare and Marin Counties, Detroit, and as far as Germany and Malaysia. The collection
consists of correspondence, recordings, films, video tapes, photographs, and printed materials related to the Synanon Foundation.
Synanon was founded by Charles Dederich, Sr. in 1958; originally named TLC (Tender Loving Care Club), the group was renamed
Synanon and had its headquarters in Santa Monica, California; Synanon's detoxification therapy attracted wealthy drug and
alcohol abusers, and eventually the organization became a $30 million nonprofit organization; chapters sprang up in San Francisco,
Tulare and Marin Counties, Detroit, and as far as Germany and Malaysia; Dederich declared Synanon a religion in 1974; Dederich
was forced to give up control of Synanon in 1979 after pleading no contest to conspiracy to commit murder; Synanon quickly
lost its popularity thereafter.
564 boxes (282 linear ft.)
118 cartons (59 linear ft.)
No copying (except by hand notes and/or note taking with a personal computer) for any purposes, including publication, or
use for commercial purposes in permitted without prior written approval by the Trustees of the Synanon Archives Trust, which
retains copyright to the Synanon records. The names of Synanon members or residents shall not be revealed or used, nor shall
members or residents be contacted unless prior written approval has been granted by the Trustees of the Synanon Archives Trust.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Advance notice required for access.