Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Fountain Humboldt County History Collection, 1850-1903
Mss65  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Fountain Humboldt County History Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1850-1903
    Collection number: Mss65
    Creator: Susie Baker Fountain
    Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
    Stockton, CA 95211
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Fountain Humboldt County History Collection, Mss65, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library

    Biography

    Humboldt County was formed in 1853 from Trinity County. It lies on the northwestern coast of California and contains Cape Mendocino, the westernmost point of mainland Unites States outside Alaska. The county has three principal rivers, the Klamath, the Eel and the Trinity, as well as three major bays, Trinidad, Arcata and Humboldt. Gold mining flourished in the heavily forested county during the 1850s and 1860s, and, as a result, there were many battles with local Indians, culminating in the massacre of 1860. These altercations led to the establishment of Fort Humboldt (1853) and the creation of the state's largest Indian reservation at Hoopa Valley. For the past one hundred twenty-five years lumbering has been the principal industry of the region. The County Seat is Eureka (1856).

    Scope and Content

    This is a narrative history of Humboldt County (1850-1903), published serially in the Blue Lake Advocate, (1964), and collected in an unbound scrapbook by the author, Susie Baker Fountain. The collection also includes letters written (1903-04) by Eleanor E. Tracy, a Humboldt Co. schoolteacher, that were compiled and annotated for publication in the Blue Lake Advocate, (1964), by Harriet T. DeLong.