Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Children's Hospital of San Francisco Photograph Collection [graphic], 1904-1965
BANC PIC 1989.058--PIC  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (132.88 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Corporate History
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Children's Hospital of San Francisco Photograph Collection [graphic],
    Date (inclusive): 1904-1965
    Collection Number: BANC PIC 1989.058--PIC
    Creator: Children's Hospital of San Francisco
    Extent: 1 carton, 3 oversize boxes (ca. 1,600 photographic prints), 7 slides, and ca. 210 negatives
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research, except for negatives, which are restricted. Use of negatives only by permission of the appropriate curator. Inquiries concerning these materials should be directed, in writing, to the Curator of Pictorial Collections, The Bancroft Library.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Children's Hospital of San Francisco photograph collection [graphic], BANC PIC 1989.058--PIC, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Material Catalogued Separately

  • Transferred from Children's Hospital of San Francisco records (BANC MSS 89/87 c)
  • Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    The Children's Hospital of San Francisco Photograph Collection photographs were transferred from the Children's Hospital of San Francisco Records, 1875-1988 (BANC MSS 89/97 c).

    Corporate History

    In 1875, Dr. Charlotte Blake Brown and Dr. Martha E. Bucknell, along with 10 other San Francisco women, founded the Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children. The objectives of the non-profit organization were to provide women with competent medical aid by female physicians, to further the advancement of women in medical practice, to educate nurses, and to provide medical and surgical aid to children. The early years of the dispensary were made difficult by financial hardship, by a continuous demand to provide treatment to a growing number of patients, and by a widespread prejudice among the local medical profession against women physicians. Despite the many challenges facing their organization, the early founders of the dispensary persevered and were able to realize several groundbreaking achievements in the practice of medicine on the West Coast.
    In 1880, the dispensary opened its Training School for Nurses - the first such school west of the Rocky Mountains. In 1885 the dispensary was reincorporated as The Hospital for Children and Training School for Nurses. From its first rooms at 520 Taylor Street, the organization relocated five times before moving into its permanent location on California Street in 1887. During the devastating San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, the main structure of the hospital was damaged beyond repair. The New Main Building, from which the present-day complex has expanded, was completed in 1911.
    In 1915, the hospital established an affiliation with the University of California for the purpose of teaching medical students. By the 1930s, the hospital was one of the leading centers in the nation for the treatment of infantile paralysis. This effort was aided by the installation of both the Drinker Respirator (popularly known as the "iron lung") - the first to be installed in the western U.S. - and the Hubbard Tank - the first facility to be designed for the underwater treatment of paralysis and other deformities. It was also during this period that the hospital admitted its first adult male patients - restricted to those suffering from polio. During the major polio outbreak of the mid-1940s, the hospital treated approximately ten percent of California's cases.
    In 1955, all restrictions on the admission of adult male patients were removed. In 1959, two years after the closure of the Training School for Nurses, the corporation changed its name to Children's Hospital of San Francisco. In 1991, after decades of modernization and expansion, the hospital merged with Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center to form the non-profit California Pacific Medial Center.
    [Sources: The Story of Children's Hospital, San Francisco : Children's Hospital of San Francisco, 1973?; A Century of Service: Children's Hospital of San Francisco, San Francisco : Children's Hospital of San Francisco, 1976.]

    Scope and Content

    The Children's Hospital of San Francisco Photograph Collection contains approximately 1,600 photographic prints taken by various photographers from circa 1887 to circa 1985. Approximately 550 of the photographs are contained in 5 albums. The collection also contains 7 glass lantern slides, a small assortment of periodical clippings and post cards, and approximately 210 negatives. The collection features many of the buildings associated with the medical center throughout its history; various personnel - for example nurses, physicians, and board members - affiliated with the hospital and former nursing school; and many patients treated by the institution. The collection also pictures a miscellany of events related to the hospital and nursing school. A more detailed description of the subjects pictured in the collection can be found in the series description and listing of negatives.
    Among the photographers featured in the collection are Gabriel Moulin, Charles Weidner, A. Sponagel, Phil Stroupe, Boyé Studios, Kay Hart Studios, Romaine, Baron Wolman, Dwain Faubion, C.A. Myers, Hugo Weitz, and C.I. Ishiguro.