The Thomas D. Church collection documents over two hundred
of Church's projects through textual records, drawings and
photographs. The collection is arranged in four series:
Office Records, Project Records, Display Boards, and
Additional Donations. The office records include
correspondence relating to prospective (uncompleted)
projects, subject files that contain photographs and
clippings of landscape details and structures, public
relations files and exhibit boards. The public relations
files include correspondence regarding the publication of
Church's work and photographs of Church projects. The exhibit
boards also feature photographs, as well as drawings.
Additional photographs are located with the project
Thomas "Tommy" Dolliver Church was born in Boston but
lived in Ojai until he was a teenager and then moved to
Berkeley. He is credited with being the creator of the
"modern garden." He was educated at the University of
California, Berkeley and Harvard. Following graduation in
1922, he traveled extensively in Europe on a Sheldon
Travelling Fellowship. Upon his return to the United States,
he began teaching landscape architecture at the University of
California, Berkeley. He returned to practice in 1929 and
three years later opened his own office in San Francisco at
402 Jackson Street where he practiced until his retirement in
1977. During the 1930s, Churchâ€™s wife
Betsy worked for "Cargoes" a gift shop that sold furniture.
She talked the manager into allowing Tommy to show his
drawings there and when the Aaltos--who were good friends of
the Churches--wanted to sell their furniture in the US, Betsy
was also allowed to show it in the space.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or
quote from materials in the collection should be discussed
with the Curator.
Collection is open for research.