Guide to the East Irvine Historic Resources Documentation Photographs, 1988

Processed by Alexis Schwarz; machine-readable finding aid created by Michael C. Conkin
Special Collections and Archives
The UCI Libraries
P.O. Box 19557
University of California
Irvine, California 92623-9557
Phone: (949) 824-3947
Fax: (949) 824-2472
Email: spcoll@uci.edu
URL: http://www.lib.uci.edu/rrsc/speccoll.html
© 1998
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Note

History --History, California --History, Los Angeles Area Social Sciences --Urban Planning and Environment Geographical (by Place) --California --Los Angeles Area

Guide to the East Irvine Historic Resources Documentation Photographs

Collection number: MS-R 66

Special Collections and Archives

The UCI Libraries



University of California

Irvine, California

Contact Information

  • Special Collections and Archives
  • The UCI Libraries
  • P.O. Box 19557
  • University of California
  • Irvine, California 92623-9557
  • Phone: (949) 824-3947
  • Fax: (949) 824-2472
  • Email: spcoll@uci.edu
  • URL: http://www.lib.uci.edu/rrsc/speccoll.html
Processed by:
Alexis Schwarz
Date Completed:
1998
Encoded by:
Michael C. Conkin and Adrian Turner
© 1998 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: East Irvine historic resources documentation photographs,
Date: 1988
Collection number: MS-R066
Creator: Sanchez Talarico Associates
Extent: 0.8 linear feet (2 boxes)
Repository: University of California, Irvine. Library. Special Collections and Archives.
Irvine, California 92623-9557
Abstract: This collection of 230 photographs and 106 associated negatives documents buildings in East Irvine, California that were built at the turn of the twentieth century. The collection was compiled by Sanchez Talarico Association, Inc. in circa 1988 in order to document the site prior to demolition of some of the buildings. The area was the hub of activity on the Irvine Ranch, but with the growth of a planned community to the southwest beginning in the 1970's, East Irvine is now important primarily as an historical site. Most photographs depict the Irvine Bean Growers Association Building, Irvine Village General Store and service station, the Irvine Garage and blacksmith shops. Other photographs illustrate houses built in the early 1900s which may have been used by Irvine Ranch workers and tenants.
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.

Preferred Citation

East Irvine Historic Resources Documentation Photographs. MS-R 66. Special Collections and Archives, The UCI Libraries, Irvine, California. Date accessed.
For the benefit of current and future researchers, please cite any additional information about sources consulted in this collection, including permanent URLs, item or folder descriptions, and box/folder locations.

Acquisition Information

Gift of the City of Irvine in 1988.

Processing History

Processed by Alexis Schwarz and Laura Clark Brown in 1998.

History

Irvine is a planned city located in Orange County, California, near the Pacific coast. It shares its borders with Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Tustin, Aliso Viejo and Laguna Beach. From the 1880s to the 1960s, Irvine was centered around what was once the Irvine Ranch hub. In 1964 the first General Plan of the City of Irvine was completed. In 1965 the former town center became known as East Irvine, and the planned community to the southwest, the present-day city of Irvine, began to take shape. The City of Irvine was incorporated on December 28, 1971. The following historical overview emphasizes the origins of the Irvine Ranch and the surrounding village.
James Henry Irvine inherited the land stretching from what is now Red Hill to Newport Beach and down to Laguna Beach from his father in 1892, and he established the Irvine Company in 1894. His father Henry Irvine and partners had purchased the land from Don José Andres Sepulveda, who owned the land when it was Rancho San Joaquin. On the Irvine Ranch, James Irvine attempted to raise raisin grapes, olives and walnuts, but the most productive crops were barley and beans. In addition, the ranch raised cattle and not sheep as Sepulveda had.
In 1889, a silo was constructed at the center of Irvine Ranch to house sacks of grains and legumes which by 1895 had grown to more that a million sacks a year. As production increased, so did the work force. A school and post office became a necessity, yet all requests for a post office were denied, as there was already one named "Irvine" in central California. James Irvine substituted "Irvine" with "Myford" (the name of his young son), and on May 20, 1889, a post office opened in the village. Soon after, Kate Munger built a two-story county store that carried everything from canned goods to gasoline and cigarettes. In 1914, the Myford intersection of El Camino Real and Laguna Road was paved, and a gas station and blacksmith shop became part of the village.
A distinct community grew around the ranch silos and warehouses near and on what is now Sand Canyon Avenue. On March 17, 1914, the post office in central California changed its title, and the name "Irvine" was transferred to the Myford post office. The village then came to be known as Irvine.
The village's importance diminished through the decades. In 1959, the Irvine Company dedicated a tract of land for a state university, and the University of California, Irvine was constructed. City planners hired by the Irvine Company envisioned a city of 50,000 people built around the new university. To the southwest of the old Irvine town, a city began to develop. In 1965 the village changed its name from Irvine to East Irvine.
In 1984, the City of Irvine proposed a redevelopment project for East Irvine. Several historic buildings and structures were moved or demolished to make room for a commercial complex. The environmental impact report which preceded the project indicated the adverse impact that development would have on the historic site and required the city to produce a historical documentation project. The City of Irvine hired the consulting company Sanchez Talarico and Associates of Newport Beach, California to compile photographs of the buildings and to record the cultural and architectural development of the East Irvine site; this collection of photographs and the report are the result of that project.

Collection Scope and Content Summary

This collection of 230 photographs and 106 associated negatives documents buildings in East Irvine, California that were built at the turn of the twentieth century. The collection was compiled by Sanchez Talarico Association, Inc. in circa 1988 in order to document the site prior to demolition of some of the buildings. The area was the hub of activity on the Irvine Ranch, but with the growth of a planned community to the southwest beginning in the 1970's, East Irvine is now important primarily as an historical site. Most photographs depict the Irvine Bean Growers Association Building, Irvine Village General Store and service station, the Irvine Garage and blacksmith shops. Other photographs illustrate houses built in the early 1900s which may have been used by Irvine Ranch workers and tenants.
Sanchez Talarico Association issued a report which includes an introduction, an index to the photographs, and photocopies of each of the photographs.
Each photograph was assigned a unique number and letter identification, and the photographs remain in the original order established by this numbering scheme. The photographs are arranged in thematic groups, such as interior shots of the Irvine Bean Growers Association Building.

Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

Subjects

Irvine Bean and Grain Growers Association--Photographs.
City planning--California--Irvine--Photographs.
Land use--California--Irvine--Photographs.
Regional planning--California--Irvine--Photographs.
Historic buildings--California--Irvine--Photographs.
Orange County (Calif.)--Photographs.
Orange County (Calif.)--Archival resources.
Irvine Ranch (Calif.)--Photographs.

Genres and Forms of Material

Architectural photographs--California--Orange County.
Photographic prints--California--Orange County.
Negatives--California--Orange County.


Collection Contents

Box 1 : 1

Introduction

Box 1 : 2

Index to photographs

Box 1 : 3-6

Photocopies of photographs

Box 1 : 7

General Views (EI-1 through EI-9)

Box 1 : 8-9

Irvine Hotel

Box 1, Folder 8

Exterior (EI-A-1 through EI-A-9)

Box 1, Folder 9

Interior (EI-A-10 through EI-A-20)

Box 1 : 10-11

General Store

Box 1 : 10

Exterior (EI-B-1 through EI-B-13)

Box 1 : 11

Interior (EI-B-14 through EI-B-28)

Box 1 : 12 - 2 : 7

Irvine Bean and Grain Growers Association Building

Box 1 : 12-13

Exterior (EI-C-1 through EI-C-42)

Box 1 : 14-15

Interior (EI-C-43 through EI-C-79)

Box 2 : 1-7

Associated structures

Box 2 : 1

Weighing station (EI-CA-1 through EI-CA-4)

Box 2 : 2

Butler building (EI-CB-1 through EI-CB-4)

Box 2 : 3

Corrugated metal structure (EI-CC-1 through EI-CC-5)

Box 2 : 4

Residence (EI-CD-1)

Box 2 : 5

Shed (EI-CE-1 through EI-CE-4)

Box 2 : 6

Wooden shed (EI-CF-1 through EI-CF-5)

Box 2 : 7

Associated equipment (EI-CG-1 through EI-CI-1)

Box 2 : 8-9

Blacksmith shop

Box 2 : 8

Exterior (EI-D-1 through EI-D-5)

Box 2 : 9

Interior (EI-D-6 through EI-D-15)

Box 2 : 10-11

Irvine Garage

Box 2 : 10

Exterior (EI-E-1 through EI-E-6)

Box 2 : 11

Interior (EI-E-7 through EI-E-12)

Box 2 : 12-13

Hamilton house

Box 2 : 12

Exterior (EI-F-1 through EI-F-5)

Box 2 : 13

Interior (EI-F-6 through EI-F-12)

Box 2 : 14-19

Residential houses

Box 2 : 14-15

6542 Burt Road

Box 2 : 14

Exterior (EI-G-1 through EI-G-5)

Box 2 : 15

Interior (EI-G-6 through EI-G-14)

Box 2 : 16-17

6552 Burt Road

Box 2 : 16

Exterior (EI-H-1 through EI-H-3)

Box 2 : 17

Interior (EI-H-4 through EI-H-8)

Box 2 : 18-19

6562 Burt Road

Box 2 : 18

Exterior (EI-I-1 through EI-I-2)

Box 2 : 19

Interior (EI-I-3 through EI-I-8)

Box 3

Negatives.

Access Information

Use of negatives is restricted to Special Collections and Archives staff.