The collection consists of correspondence, photocopies, mimeographs, log books, computer printouts and printed material relating
to employment practices, wages, operating procedures, equipment, train movements, etc. In addition the collection contains
correspondence, reports, memoranda and notes concerning the abandonment of service, including ferry service across the Carquinez
Strait, between West Pittsburg and Montezuma, trackage abandonments elsewhere in Northern California during the 1940s and
1950s, and electric interurban passenger equipment and streetcars.
The Sacramento Northern Railway Company was incorporated in California on August 29, 1921. Its purpose was to acquire and
operate the property of the Sacramento Northern Railroad. It absorbed the Sacramento Northern on November 4, 1925. Western
Pacific Railroad owned the new railroad. Sacramento Northern's trackage consisted of a main line extending from Chico to Sacramento,
with various branches, operating approximately 157 miles of track. On December 31, 1928, the San Francisco- Sacramento Railroad
was acquired. This line stretched from Chico to Oakland. On January 15, 1939, through service to Chico was instituted. Passenger
service was discontinued in October of 1940 but freight service was continued.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Senior
Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.