Scope and Content
Title: Salem-Needham School scrapbooks,
Date (inclusive): 1935-1939
Collection number: Ms21
Extent: 1.5 linear ft.
San Joaquin County Museum.
Collection is open for research by appointment only.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
[Identification of item], Salem-Needham School scrapbooks, Ms21, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum.
Salem School (Lodi, Calif.)
Needham School (Lodi, Calif.)
Lodi School District (Calif.)
Salem School District (Lodi, Calif.)
Salem-Needham Parent Teacher Association (Lodi, Calif.)
Elementary schools - California - Lodi
Elementary school teaching - California - Lodi
Elementary school facilities - California - Lodi
Parent-teacher relationships - California - Lodi
Lodi (Calif.) - Social life and customs
Lodi (Calif.) - History - Sources
Lodi's Salem School District was formed in May 1859, before the City of Lodi had come into existence. By the time developers
had platted the city, Salem School was ready for its third schoolhouse, a substantial two-story building at the corner of
School and Pine streets (1872).
By 1907, when the District's name was officially changed to "Lodi School District" three schools
formed the Salem District. During its later years, the old Salem School housed seventh and eight graders only, and by 1938
the building was abandoned. After its closure, Salem students were transferred to Needham School which had been erected on
Pleasant Street (1921) and was expanded to accomodate the Salem students in 1938. The Needham School was named for Clyde Needham,
the first citizen of Lodi to be killed in World War I. Grades kindergarten through eight were taught at the school, which
occupies a twelve acre site on Pleasant Street.
Scope and Content
The three scrapbooks which comprise this collection chronicle the final years of the old Salem School classes and the transfer
of seventh and eighth grade pupils to the newly expanded Needham School. They were created and maintained by the Salem District
Association and contain information about the activities of that body as well as of the schools themselves (1935-1939).