Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Faculty Wives, University of California, San Francisco Records, 1948-87
MSS 89-38  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (100.76 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Organizational History
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Faculty Wives, University of California, San Francisco Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1948-87
    Collection number: MSS 89-38
    Creator: Faculty Wives, University of California, San Francisco
    Extent: 1 carton, 1 scrapbook
    Repository: University of California, San Francisco. Library. Archives and Special Collections.
    San Francisco, California 94143-0840
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Provenance

    Received 6/89, from J. Bovill, F. Larragueta; Additions received 2/7/90 from Josephine Bovill: Presidents' Book (1948-49), two cookbooks (1950, 1957), three copies Bear Facts, incorporated where appropriate.

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Faculty Wives, University of California, San Francisco Records, MSS 89-38, Archives & Special Collections, UCSF Library & CKM

    Organizational History

    The organization began in 1917 after the opening of the University Hospital, when the need for some type of non-official support was needed. The first name adopted by the group was "Ladies of the Medical Faculty of UC," apparently the first such group west of the Mississippi. In 1925 the name was changed to "Doctors' Wives Association of U.C.," and the goals were much the same: working for hospital as needed, providing social occasions for wives of medical faculty. One of the earliest projects was the provision of clothing for children in the pediatric wards. In the years that followed, the Doctors' Wives also supported Dr. Olney's camp for diabetic children, decorated Christmas trees, and provided furnishings for Millberry Union.
    After the opening of Moffitt Hospital, with the establishment of the Hospital Auxiliary in 1959, the Doctors' Wives were less involved with the hospitals, and focused on other projects, including provision of household goods for newly arrived foreign scholars, loan fund for students, funding for the clock installation on Millberry Union, etc. In 1970 the group changed its name to "Faculty Wives" and included members from all the schools on campus.

    Scope and Content

    Records include correspondence, minutes, announcements and flyers, historical information, subject files.