Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Walnut Grove Japanese Methodist Church Records, 1930-1956
298  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (107.76 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Walnut Grove Japanese Methodist Church was the only Japanese Christian institution in the Sacramento Delta region. Established in 1915, the church played a key role in the religious life of the Japanese immigrant community. For the American-born Nisei generation, it conducted a Sunday school from its inception, and during the 1930s it organized the Epworth League and Friendship Club. During the wartime internment years, it was closed, but reopened in 1945 as former residents of Walnut Grove began to return to the Delta region. In October 1991 the church was closed permanently because of declining membership. The collection consists of various minutes, donation records, account books, weekly bulletins, and other miscellaneous documents, most of which postdate 1933. Includes many postwar newsletters issued by other Japanese American Christian churches, and the Kingdom of God Weekly ( Kami no Kuni Shimbun), a Christian weekly newspaper published in Japan.
Background
The Walnut Grove Japanese Methodist Church was the only Japanese Christian institution in the Sacramento Delta region; established in 1915, the church played a key role in the religious life of the Japanese immigrant community; for the American-born Nisei generation, it conducted a Sunday school from its inception, and during the 1930s it organized the Epworth League and Friendship Club; in 1915, and again in 1933, the church was destroyed by fire; during the wartime internment years, it was closed, but reopened in 1945 as former residents of Walnut Grove began to return to the Delta region; in October 1991 the church was closed permanently because of declining membership.
Extent
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
Restrictions
Copyright to portions of this collection has been assigned to the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections. The library can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian, Department of Special Collections.] Credit shall be given as follows: [c in circle] The Regents of the University of California on behalf of the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections.
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Advance notice required for access.