The Beulah Heights Improvement Club records date primarily from 1914 and 1915 with
scattered documents dating from 1913 through 1923. Many items were authored by the
secretary-treasurer of the group, Christian T Gutleben, an Oakland contractor. Other
recurrent names found in the papers are those of Ed P Myers, Frank E. Hewitt, C.
Oatridge, Carrie Pratt Elwell and San Francisco attorney, A. Kazebeer. The records
include bylaws, minutes, correspondence, petitions, printed pamphlets and flyers, and
newspaper clippings. Most of the correspondence is with city and state officials.
The Beulah Heights Improvement Club was an Oakland, California property owners
organization for the development of the Beulah Heights District. Civic organizations
consisting of real estate dealers, businessmen, citizens, and community leaders played an
important part in the growth and development of Oakland. The Beulah Heights District
located near Mills College between the convergence of the current MacArthur Freeway (580)
and Warren Freeway (13,) is now part of the Laurel, Leona Heights and Redwood Districts.
The group met at the Beulah School. The main focus of the Beulah Heights Improvement Club
was to obtain a water supply for the district by working with the Railroad Commission of
the State of California and the Peoples Water Company. A Club subscription drive raised
several thousand dollars toward this goal. Members were concerned with other utilities
and services: gas, electricity, sanitation, street signs, telephone lines, and street
lighting, and, they also contributed to the support of Mills College and Beulah School.
Collection is open for research.