Scope and Content
Title: Cooper Medical College Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1872-1908
Collection number: Mss94
Extent: 1.3 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Cooper Medical College Collection, Mss94, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
The Cooper Medical College of San Francisco was founded in 1882 by Levi Cooper Lane. He
named the school for his uncle, Dr. Samuel E. Cooper, who had founded the first medical
school in California--the University of the Pacific School of Medicine--in 1858.
The University of the Pacific operated their medical school in San Francisco until 1865.
In that year, Dr. Toland opened a competing medical school in the city and the Methodist
Church decided that they would be unable to compete. Some of the Pacific faculty worked
at Toland's school for awhile, but in 1870 Dr. Levi Cooper Lane decided to revive the
University of Pacific Medical School. Two years later, however, the Methodists
permanently severed their connection with Dr. Lane's school. Holt Atherton Special
Collections holds material on the University of the Pacific Medical School in the
University of Pacific Archives.
From 1872 through 1882 Dr. Lane operated his school in association with the Presbyterian
University (City) College. The school was officially known as the Medical College of the
Pacific. In 1882 Dr. Lane severed the connection with University College and operated an
independent Cooper Medical College until his death in 1902. In 1908 Cooper Medical
College affiliated with Stanford University.
Scope and Content
The period 1872-1882 is represented in this collection by annual catalogs,valedictory
addresses and scattered issues of the Pacific Medical Journal. The decades 1882-1902 are
represented by annual catalogs, valedictory addresses, scattered issues of the Pacific
Medical Journal and a copy of Hans Barkan's 1954 history of the school.