Scope and Contents Note
Collection Title: Frederick H. Meyer Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1904-1962
Collection Number: 1976-1
Meyer, Frederick H., 1872-1961
Meyer & O'Brien
Meyer & Johnson
Meyer & Evers
Extent: 6 boxes, 30 flat boxes, 8 flat file drawers
Environmental Design Archives.
University of California, Berkeley.
Abstract: The collection documents the architectural work of Frederick H. Meyer, completed in a number of partnerships. It contains
records of a wide range of building types throughout California.
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
[Identification of item], Frederick H. Meyer Collection, (1976-1), Environmental Design Archives. University of California,
Berkeley. Berkeley, California.
The collection was donated in 1976.
Frederick H. Meyer (1876-1961)
Frederick H. Meyer was born in San Francisco. His father was a cabinet maker and Frederick attended pubic and private schools.
He began his career in the early 1890s as a draftsman for a planing mill and worked in a number of architectural offices prior
to beginning his own practice. He is listed in the San Francisco City Directory under Newsom & Meyer in 1899-1900, under
his own name in 1901 and as Meyer & O'Brien beginning in 1902.
Meyer was a prolific designer, responsible for many of the buildings designed in the San Francisco area after the 1906 earthquake
and fire. In 1913, Under Jim Rolph's Mayoral administration, Meyer was appointed to serve as one of the three members of the
San Francisco Civic Center Commission, whose tasks included the evolution and supervision of the City's Civic Center plan.
A fellow of the AIA, Meyer's practice consisted primarily of public, commercial and industrial projects, including public
libraries, breweries, hospitals, and public schools. Among his most notable buildings are the Humboldt Bank and the Monadnock
Building, tall buildings for their time and recognized for their innovative use of large glass areas and their incorporation
of fire-safety designs and equipment. An avid sailor, Meyer was active in numerous professional, civic and recreational organizations.
He practiced with a variety of firms including: Meyer & O'Brien (Smith); Meyer & Johnson (Albin R.); Meyer & Evers (Albert
J.); Howard (John G.), Meyer & Reid (John Jr.); Riedy (Dodge A.) & Meyer; Meyer, Peugh (W.D.), Rist (Martin) and Pflueger
(Timothy L.); Meyer & Associates - Jorgenson (Mark T.), Keyser (Lawrence H); The successor firms to Meyer's practice were
Ashley (George Fred), Keyser & Runge; Johnson (Alfred W.) & Runge; Runge (Chris W.) (1906-1972).
Municipal Blue Book of San Francisco, 1915
Unpublished biography on Ashley, Keyser and Runge letterhead, 1961 (photocopy), Environmental Design Archives
Scope and Contents Note
Records of the architectural practice of Frederick H. Meyer span the years 1904-1962 and are organized into three series:
Office Records, Project Records, and Additional Donations. A job index, found in the office records, provides a comprehensive
list of Meyer's projects. Office records also include photograph albums.
The collection primarily consists of project records containing specifications and plans, and photographs of completed projects.
These records document the work done by Meyer in a number of partnerships, and contain a wide range of building types throughout
the state. Projects include office buildings such as San Francisco's Humboldt Bank and Monadnock Buildings; club buildings
such as the Elks Lodge in Bakersfield, and California Hall and the YMCA in San Francisco; Lagunda Honda and San Francisco
General, and Sutter Hospital in Sacramento; numerous Pacific Gas & Electric substations, breweries, banks, hotels, schools,
industrial structures, commercial buildings, firehouses, and a few residences. There are drawings for most projects and specifications
The Environmental Design Library houses his library of 165 books and 90 magazines. The bulk of the collection was donated
Title: Chris W. Runge Collection
Identifier/Call Number: (1976-3),
Contributing Institution: Environmental Design Archives