The Howard & White collection is organized in two series, Personal Papers and Project Records. The first series contains minimal
personal records concerning George Howard. The collection consists primarily of drawings and correspondence which document
residential projects completed by the firm. Some photographs are also included. Within the collection are records pertaining
to the Kohl residence "The Oaks" located in Hillsborough, CA, which was featured in the architectural periodical, "The Architect
The firm of Howard & White was founded in 1909 by George Howard and John White, who had been partners with Bernard Maybeck
from 1907-1908. During this partnership they completed numerous reconstruction projects after San Francisco's 1906 earthquake.
White is credited as the lead designer of the firm. White moved to California sometime during the early 1890s and earned his
certificate in 1902. Little is known about George Howard.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
Collection is open for research.