Register of the Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger, 1867-1888

Processed by Don Walker; machine-readable finding aid created by Don Walker
Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
University Library, University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA 95211
Phone: (209) 946-2404
Fax: (209) 946-2810
URL: http://www.pacific.edu/Library/Find/Holt-Atherton-Special-Collections.html
© 1998
University of the Pacific. All rights reserved.



Register of the Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger, 1867-1888

Collection number: Mss89

Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections

University Library

University of the Pacific

Contact Information

  • Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
  • University Library, University of the Pacific
  • Stockton, CA 95211
  • Phone: (209) 946-2404
  • Fax: (209) 946-2810
  • URL: http://www.pacific.edu/Library/Find/Holt-Atherton-Special-Collections.html
Processed by:
Don Walker
Date Completed:
1994
Encoded by:
Don Walker
© 1998 University of the Pacific. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger,
Date (inclusive): 1867-1888
Collection number: Mss89
Creator: Reginald R. Stuart
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Stockton, CA 95211
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger, Mss89, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library

Biography

The first user of this multi-use ledger was the Occidental Market of Portland, Oregon, which was operated by G.V. Marshall and Louis Jantzen. Occidental sold meats to grocers and hotels. Establishments doing business with Occidental included the Washington, Shakspear and Union Hotels, the California House, and the Franklin Market. In the fall of 1868 Marshall moved his business to Albany, Oregon. Here his principal customers were Frenchy Meats and the Empire Restaurant. Marshall appears to have ceased business operations in December 1868.
School District #50, Douglas County, Oregon, was newly formed in February, 1871. The first act of the trustees was to select a school site. This location was "on the south side of Mill Creek east of the road leading from Coles Valley to Roseburg." The building erected on that site subsequently became known as the Cleveland School. This ledger contains the record of each annual meeting of the District #50 trustees from the date of organization of the district through 1888. District records occupy this ledger. They were probably kept by F.M. Good, the Board clerk.
Cleveland, Oregon is situated on the Umpqua River about four miles south of Coles Valley. In 1884 the settlement had a post office, a general store, and a mill "all kept by Mr. F.M. Good." According to Walling's History of Southern Oregon (1884), under the school at Cleveland was begun in 1872 under the directorship of George B. Yale. When Walling's history was published, Cleveland school had forty-eight pupils.
The Cleveland Lodge No. 175 of Good Templars was organized in November, 1872. This group is not mentioned in 19th century Oregon local histories, but it seems to have been a coeducational social club with some interest in the temperance movement. The records in this volume consist of a list of charter members and the minutes of meetings held in 1872 and 1873. The business of Templars' meetings seems to have centered on nominations for membership, initiation of members, preparation of regalia, election of officers, and the reading of papers pertaining to temperance issues.

Container List

 

BOX 1: OREGON MULTI-USE LEDGER

 

MARSHALL MEAT MARKETS, PORTLAND & ALBANY (ORE.)---Accounts, 1867-68

 

pp............1-96, 336, 349-350, 355

 

DOUGLAS COUNTY (ORE.) SCHOOL DISTRICT #50---District Records, 1872

 

pp............97-138

 

GOOD TEMPLARS: CLEVELAND LODGE NO. 175---Minutes, 1872-1873

 

pp............164, 169, 171-184, 262-265

 

BLANK

 

pp............139-163

 

pp............170, 185-261, 266-335

 

MISSING

 

pp............165-168

 

pp............337-348

 

pp............351-354