Title: Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger,
Date (inclusive): 1867-1888
Collection number: Mss89
Reginald R. Stuart
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Oregon Multi-Use 19th c. Ledger, Mss89, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
The first user of this multi-use ledger was the Occidental Market of Portland, Oregon,
which was operated by G.V. Marshall and Louis Jantzen. Occidental sold meats to grocers
and hotels. Establishments doing business with Occidental included the Washington,
Shakspear and Union Hotels, the California House, and the Franklin Market. In the fall of
1868 Marshall moved his business to Albany, Oregon. Here his principal customers were
Frenchy Meats and the Empire Restaurant. Marshall appears to have ceased business
operations in December 1868.
School District #50, Douglas County, Oregon, was newly formed in February, 1871. The
first act of the trustees was to select a school site. This location was "on the south
side of Mill Creek east of the road leading from Coles Valley to Roseburg." The building
erected on that site subsequently became known as the Cleveland School. This ledger
contains the record of each annual meeting of the District #50 trustees from the date of
organization of the district through 1888. District records occupy this ledger. They were
probably kept by F.M. Good, the Board clerk.
Cleveland, Oregon is situated on the Umpqua River about four miles south of Coles Valley.
In 1884 the settlement had a post office, a general store, and a mill "all kept by Mr.
F.M. Good." According to Walling's History of Southern Oregon (1884), under the school at
Cleveland was begun in 1872 under the directorship of George B. Yale. When Walling's
history was published, Cleveland school had forty-eight pupils.
The Cleveland Lodge No. 175 of Good Templars was organized in November, 1872. This group
is not mentioned in 19th century Oregon local histories, but it seems to have been a
coeducational social club with some interest in the temperance movement. The records in
this volume consist of a list of charter members and the minutes of meetings held in 1872
and 1873. The business of Templars' meetings seems to have centered on nominations for
membership, initiation of members, preparation of regalia, election of officers, and the
reading of papers pertaining to temperance issues.