The Miller & Lux Records consist primarily of
business, farming, administrative, and legal records. Correspondence files,
which comprise the major portion of this collection, contain few letters
dated prior to 1906, although there are many business, legal, and other
documents before that date. Copious and comprehensive records of
transactions relating to the acquisitions of property in Oregon, Nevada, and
California provide an overview of the company's land sales program and
include materials relating to advertising, sales, cancellations, and prices.
The day-to-day operations of a cattle conglomerate are represented in detail
in the collection, as is Henry Miller's pioneer activity in building
irrigation canal systems and defending his water rights in court.
In 1857, Henry Miller (1827-1916) and Charles Lux (1823-1887), both German
immigrant butchers, formed the partnership of Miller & Lux. Miller
& Lux both arrived in San Francisco separately around 1850 and began
acquiring land and cattle. It was through their businesses as the cities top
butchers that first brought them together in a joint deal. Their partnership
was solidified when the men married sisters.
Number of containers: 183 boxes, 738 cartons, 210 volumes, 3
Linear feet: circa 1037.25
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for
permission to publish or reproduce must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of
California, Berkeley, CA 94720-6000. Permission for publication is
given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the
copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.