Information for Researchers
Scope and Content
Collection Title: Children's Hospital of San Francisco Records,
Date (inclusive): 1875-1988
Collection Number: BANC MSS 89/87 c
Children's Hospital of San Francisco.
Number of containers: 10 cartons, 4 boxes, 2 oversize folders.
Number of reels (35mm, positives): 13
Linear feet: 14.2
Berkeley, California 94720-6000
Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Abstract: The bulk of the collection consists of 45 volumes of minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors. In addition, there
are administrative files containing bylaws, articles of incorporation, monthly and annual reports; Board records containing
correspondence, member lists, and committee files in addition to the minutes; and material relating to medical staff. Also
includes files for various departments and programs of the hospital and school of nursing, along with those concerning affiliated
groups and other related organizations and subjects. The last subject area relates to the history of the hospital and was
assembled by Children's Hospital in preparation for their centennial anniversary in 1975.
Information for Researchers
Collection is open for research, with one exception:
Use of original bound volumes of Board minutes is restricted; use microfilm copy instead. Use of originals only by permission
of the Head of the Manuscripts Division.
Copyright has been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must
be submitted in writing to the Head of the Manuscripts Division. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and the copyright.
[Identification of item], Children's Hospital of San Francisco records, BANC MSS 89/87 c, The Bancroft Library, University
of California, Berkeley.
Materials Cataloged Separately
- Printed materials have been transferred to the book collection of The Bancroft Library.
- Photographs have been transferred to Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library.
- Centennial Pin has been transferred to the Objects Collection of The Bancroft Library.
The records of Children's Hospital of San Francisco were given to The Bancroft Library by the Board of Directors of Children's
Hospital of San Francisco on October 21, 1988.
Children's Hospital of San Francisco was established in 1875 by three physicians: Dr. Charlotte Blake Brown, Dr. Sara E. Brown, and Dr. Martha E. Bucknell. It began operations at 520 Taylor Street, as the Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children. In 1880, the hospital opened a Training School for Nurses, the first such school west of the Rockies. In 1885, it was reincorporated as the Hospital for Children and Training School for Nurses; its purpose was to care for women and children and to further the advancement of women in medicine, and the education and
training of nurses. In its first one hundred years, Children's Hospital grew to a 362-bed, voluntary teaching and research
hospital. At the time of its centennial celebration in 1975, Children's Hospital was one of only three independent, non-profit,
general teaching hospitals in the state of California.
Scope and Content
The records of Children's Hospital of San Francisco, 1875-1988, span over a century of the Hospital's history, with the bulk of the collection consisting of board records and
various fragmentary and incomplete administrative files. These include organizational and secretary's files (Series 1), which
contain bylaws, articles of incorporation, monthly and annual reports, and related information. The Board of Trustees and
Board of Directors/Managers records (Series 2) include correspondence, member lists, and committee files, in addition to the
minutes of the Board of Directors/Managers meetings. Also includes material relating to the Hospital's medical staff, as well
as files for various departments and programs of the hospital and school of nursing, along with those concerning affiliated
groups and other related organizations and subjects (Series 3 and 4).
Another significant group of material (Series 5: Historical Files) relates to the history of the hospital and was assembled
by Children's in preparation for their centennial anniversary in 1975. Ephemera, which may also have been collected by the
Centennial Committee, has been gathered at the end of the collection (Series 6).