SCOPE AND CONTENT
Call Number: SC0125
Title: Architecture of Stanford University collection
0.75 Linear feet
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Physical Location: Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 36-48 hours in advance. For more
information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/spc.html.
Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305
Phone: (650) 725-1022
This collection contains material acquired from a variety of sources. The Olmsted-McMillan correspndence came to the Archives
sometime before 1965, source unknown. The letters from the Olmsted firm to Emory Smith and the copies of Frederick Law Olmsted's
letters provided by the Olmsted firm form another group of records, which seem to have come to the Stanford Collection (precursor
of the University Archives) through Orrin Leslie Elliott, first University "historian." The Charles Edward Hodges, Joseph
Lamb, and Charles Lathrop letters were included in a group of materials purchased in 1972 from Frank Spingola of San Francisco
(with funds provided by Mr. David Canfield, Santa Fe). In 1976, photocopies of correspondence in the Frederick L. Olmsted
papers and the Olmsted Associates papers, both in the Library of Congress, were ordered and received to expedite research
for the "Founders and Architects" exhibit.
Information about Access
Ownership & Copyright
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University
[Identification of item], Architecture of Stanford University Collection (SC0125). Dept. of Special Collections and University
Archives, Stanford, Calif.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection consists primarily of original correspondence concerning the early stages of planning, construction and landscaping
of Stanford University, 1886-1906. The construction of Memorial Church, the Library (1906), the Gymnasium (1906), the Museum,
and parts of the Quadrangle are featured. Major correspondents include Leland Stanford; Frederick Law Olmsted and J. C. Olmsted,
landscape architects; John McMillan, supervising engineer at the Stanford construction site; Charles Lathrop, Business Manager,
Stanford University; Charles Edward Hodges, draughtsman and later resident architect; Thomas H. Douglas, nurseryman; Henry
S. Codman, Olmsted partner; Joseph Lamb, manufacturer of stained glass windows; and Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, architectural
firm. The collection also contains some photocopies of Olmsted correspondence.
Douglas, Thomas H.
Hodges, Charles Edward.
Lathrop, Charles G. (Charles Gardner), 1849-1914.
McMillan, John G
Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903
Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge.
Stanford, Leland, 1824-1893.
School buildings--California--Design and construction.
Universities and colleges--Buildings.