Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Architecture of Stanford University Collection
SC0125  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (60.06 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection consists primarily of original correspondence concerning the early stages of planning, construction and landscaping of Stanford University, 1886-1906. The construction of Memorial Church, the Library (1906), the Gymnasium (1906), the Museum, and parts of the Quadrangle are featured. Major correspondents include Leland Stanford; Frederick Law Olmsted and J. C. Olmsted, landscape architects; John McMillan, supervising engineer at the Stanford construction site; Charles Lathrop, Business Manager, Stanford University; Charles Edward Hodges, draughtsman and later resident architect; Thomas H. Douglas, nurseryman; Henry S. Codman, Olmsted partner; Joseph Lamb, manufacturer of stained glass windows; and Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, architectural firm. The collection also contains some photocopies of Olmsted correspondence.
Extent
0.75 Linear feet