This collection of Jackson County records consists of about 1600 items formerly held by
the County Clerk's Office. They include licences, bills, receipts and certificates
pertaining to ferries, peddling, road building, elections and liquor sales (1853-1891).
Jackson County (Ore.) is the southernmost county in that state. Apart from the Rogue
River Valley, a region well-suited to deciduous orchard crops, it is largely mountainous,
forested terrain. The county, one of the last in Oregon to be settled, was organized
(1852) following a gold strike. Its 19th century county seat was Jacksonville, near the
present-day city of Medford. Most of the documents in this collection bear the signatures
of long-time County Treasurer, David Linn (1855-1867), or of one of two early County
Clerks, William Hoffman (1860-1866) and W.H. Hyde (1867-1870). Local businesses such as:
J.A. Brunner, Sachs Bros. and Anderson & Glenn [dry goods]; T.S. Pomeroy, Henry Denlinger
and B.F. Dowell [printers]; and, Comstock & Cawley Livery Stables are frequently
represented by bills for goods delivered. Many early residents are named in lists of road
crews and delinquent taxpayers.