Material Transferred from the Collection
Title: Talisman Press archives,
Date (inclusive): 1958-1969
Box Number: 2125-2187
California State Library
Conditions of Use
Please credit California State Library.
Copyright has not been assigned to California State Library. All requests for permission
to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing. Permission for
publication is given on behalf of California State Library as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Talisman Press archives, California State Library.
Baird, Newton D.--Correrspondence
Greenwood, Robert, 1926---Correspondence.
Publishers and publishing--California
El Dorado County (Calif.)--History
The collection consists of materials pertaining to titles published by the Press,
including research materials, correspondence, typescripts, galleys, annotated printing
copies, illustrations, reviews, financial records, etc.; materials relating to proposals
for publications that the Press never published; miscellaneous corporate records of the
Press, including correspondence, etc.; and historical materials on El Dorado County,
particularly the Georgetown area.
Talisman Press was a fine press operated by Robert Greenwood and Newton Baird, from
approximately 1958 to 1969. After publishing "Talisman" magazine for only a short time,
they turned to publishing two to three books a year on the subjects of Western American
history, American literature, and bibliography. The business began in the San Jose area,
but moved to Georgetown, California in 1962. Although they stopped printing books in
1969, Greenwood and Baird continued as book dealers until retirement in January, 1991.
Baird, Newton D.
- Bretnor, Helen Harding (Also: El Dorado County history materials)
- Crosby, Alexander L. (See: Old Greenwood)
- Dillon, Richard H. (Also: James Marshall)
- Drysdale, Amy Horn (See: Material for proposed publication)
- Gay, Theressa (See: James Marshall)
- Giffen, Helen S. (Helen Smith), 1893-(Also: James Marshall; El Dorado History materials
Gilbert, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin)
Greenwood, Robert, 1926-
Hanna, Archibald, 1916-
- Jackson, W. Turrentine (William Turrentine), 1915-(See: Material for proposed publication)
- Johnson, Kenneth M. (Also: New Almaden; San Francisco as it is)
- Kelly, Charles, 1889-(Also: Old Greenway)
- Lohf, Kenneth A. (Also: Sherwood Anderson)
- London, John, 1903-(See: Jack London)
- Morgan, Dale Lowell, 1914-1971 (Also: Overland in 1846; California as I saw it)
- Nasatir, Abraham Phineas, 1904-(Also: French journalist in the California gold rush
- Nathan, Leonard, 1924-(Also: Western reaches)
Nunis, Doyce Blackmun.
- Paul, Rodman W. (Rodman Wilson), 1912-(See: California gold discovery)
- Stanford, Ann (See: Magellan; Western sampler)
- Tweney, George H. (Also: Jack London)
- Woodbridge, Hensley Charles, 1923-(See: Jack London)
- Andrews, Thomas Franklin, 1937-(See: Material for proposed publication)
Antiquarian Booksellers Asssociation of America.
- Combs, Richard E. (See: Material for proposed publication)
- Fox, Theron (Also: Jack London)
- Goodman, John B. (John Bartlett), 1901-1991 (See: Material for proposed publication)
- Hoopes, Chad L. (See: Material for proposed publication)
- Johnson, Hiram (See: Material for proposed publication, Amy Horn Drysdale)
- Lightner, Katherine L. (See: Material for proposed publication)
- Lingenfelter, Richard E. (See: Material for proposed publication)
- McKenney, J. Wilson (Also: Wilmac Press publications)
- Melendy, H. Brett (See: Governors of California)
Rafferty, Max Lewis, 1917-
Random House (Firm)
Rosenstock, Fred A., b. 1895.
- State Historical Society of Colorado (See: Correspondence, C.)
Steinbeck, Elaine A.
Swallow, Alan, 1915-1966.
Material Transferred from the Collection
- A. Darlington diaries
- Bibliography and modern librarianship (c* Z688.R3 B68 1966)
- A Bibliography of the John Henry Nash collection in Varsi Library, University of Santa Clara
- Book Club of California: a catalogue (c* Z999 .D38 no.43)
- Constitution, by-laws and rules of order of Georgetown Degree Lodge No. 64 Daughter of Rebekah
- Constitution and by-laws of Memento Lodge No. 37, I.O.O.F
- Hidalgos of America (c*HS1510.H72 T72 1915)
- The Library of Aubrey Drury (c*Z997 .D78 1962)
- The Unfairness of Easter (c*FIC D327un 1959)
- A Western sampler (c* PS561 .W47 1963)
- Buckeye argonauts (IN: Ohio State archaeological and historical quarterly) (c* F865 .T46 1950)
- Alta California Bookstore
- The Anderson Galleries
- Dawson's catalog (c* Z232.D38 A32 1969)
- John Howell Books
- Parke-Bernet catalogs
- Ward Richie Press
- Georgetown & Kelsey schoolteacher correspondence
- Vaughan-Forni deeds, patents, legal papers, correspondence.
Title: Maude Hulbert Horn family collection