Title: Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District III Records
California. Division of Highways
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District III Records, F3802, California State Archives.
At its inception in 1911 District III, headquartered at Sacramento, encompassed approximately 680 miles covering the counties
of: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Solano,
Stanislaus, Sutter, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba. By 1924 District III covered 1,593.3 miles, and this expansion prompted a reorganization
of territory. An east-west line passing through the city of Sacramento reduced the area of District III to 844.78 miles including
the counties of: Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, southern Plumas, the northern portions of Sacramento and
Yolo Counties, Sierra, Sutter and Yuba. The balance of the former District territory formed the new District X. By 1933 Plumas
County was absorbed into District II, and district headquarters moved from Sacramento to Marysville.