Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Documents of the College of California
308y.d  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (59.72 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Brief History
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Documents of the College of California
    Collection Number: 308y.d
    Creator: College of California
    Extent: 1 box (.4 linear feet)
    Repository: The Bancroft Library. University Archives.
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Documents of the College of California, 308y.d, University Archives, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Related Collections

    • Letter book of the College of California (308y.let)
    • Transfer of the College of California to the University of California (308y.tr)
    • Reports to the Board of Trustees of the College of California (308y.r)

    Brief History

    The College of California was chartered in 1855 and operated in Oakland, California until 1869. Initially it functioned as a preparatory academy, under the name of College School, and the first college class of ten freshmen began in 1860. The aspirations of the College led it to search for a larger site as early as 1856, and this search gradually led to the acquisition of land north of Oakland at a site the trustees named Berkeley, after George Berkeley, Bishop of Cloyne.
    In 1866, California took advantage of the Morrill Land Grant Act and created the Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College. The trustees of the College of California realized the implications for their own institution's lack of financial support and offered all the college's assets if the legislature would create a University of California combining the aims of the Agricultural, Mining and Mechanical Arts College and the more humanities-oriented College of California. An act to found the university was passed by the California legislature and was signed into law on March 23, 1868. The College of California offered no instruction after the 1868/69 academic year.

    Scope and Content

    This collection includes notebooks relating to the founding of the College of California, to its properties, and to donors to the college, as well as papers relating to the transfer of the college properties to the state for the use of the University of California.