This collection includes notebooks relating to the founding of the College of California, to its properties, and to donors
to the college, as well as papers relating to the transfer of the college properties to the state for the use of the University
The College of California was chartered in 1855 and operated in Oakland, California until 1869. Initially it functioned as
a preparatory academy, under the name of College School, and the first college class of ten freshmen began in 1860. The aspirations
of the College led it to search for a larger site as early as 1856, and this search gradually led to the acquisition of land
north of Oakland at a site the trustees named Berkeley, after George Berkeley, Bishop of Cloyne.
1 box (.4 linear feet)
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.