Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Lodi (Calif.) Women's Club Collection
Ms17  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (77.61 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • History
  • Scope and Content
  • Access Points

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Lodi (Calif.) Women's Club Collection
    Date: 1914-1970
    Collection Number: Ms17
    Location: Erickson Vault
    Extent: 1 linear foot
    Contributing Institution: San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
    11793 North Micke Grove Road
    Lodi, CA 95240
    Language of Material: Records written in English
    Abstract: The material in the Lodi Women's Club Collection affords insights into the organization and civic involvement of women in Lodi, California, starting in the early years of the twentieth century. The collection consists of cookbooks, programs, and yearbooks that the Club published, as well as articles and memorabilia collected in scrapbooks that reveal impressions of the Club and its activities from within and outside.

    Access Information

    Collection is open for research by appointment.

    Conditions of Use

    The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
    Preferred citation: [Item name], Lodi (Calif.) Women's Club Collection, Ms17, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum, Lodi, California.

    Related Material

    Title: Lodi (Calif.) City Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1907-1962 (GovRec1)

    History

    The Lodi Women's Club, originally the Ladies' Improvement Club, came into existence in 1906. Establishment of the organization in that year represented a significant step in the City's development from a sleepy agricultural hamlet to a bustling business center. Other notable institutions and buildings dating from that period include Lodi's Opera House (1905), Library (1910), City Hall (1912), High School (1913), and jail and first city park (1914). At the outset, the Club's purpose was to assist in the City's progress and betterment. In 1913, it changed its name to the Women's Club of Lodi, and two years late commenced construction on its current building, which continues to stand at 325 West Pine Street, in Lodi. A plaque attached to the building in October 1988 in recognition of its placement on the state and federal Registries of Historic Places credits the Club for helping to make "Lodi the livable place it is today."

    Scope and Content

    The Lodi Women's Club Collection spans the years 1914-1970. It consistes of two series: 1. Cookbooks, Programs, and Yearbooks, and 2. Oversize Scrapbooks. The Collection affords insights into the membership and activities of the Club as see through its own publications and local newspapers.

    Access Points

    Corporate Name

    Lodi Women's Club

    Subjects

    Clubs--California--Lodi
    Lodi (Calif.)--Social life and customs
    Programs--California--Lodi
    Scrapbooks--California--San Joaquin County
    Women and gender history
    Women--Societies and clubs