Record Series 504 contains administrative files created by the Stevens House, a cooperative residence that offered affordable
housing for women and minority women studying at UCLA. Materials include: correspondence; Stevens Board and student council
meeting minutes; resident applications and contracts; and other textual records documenting the daily operations and activities
of the house, its House Directors and residents.
Stevens House was founded in 1948 and dedicated in the memory of Bishop William Bertrand Stevens, the head of the Protestant
Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles from 1928 to 1947. It was an undertaking of the Intercultural Committee of the University
Religious Conference at UCLA where Bishop Stevens served as President. Stevens House was a low-cost cooperative residence
dormitory for UCLA undergraduate women. Its purpose was to provide housing to women and minority women attending UCLA who
could not get campus housing elsewhere. It was one the first institutions in Los Angeles to practice integration in education,
providing an interracial and multicultural living environment for women at UCLA.
0.8 linear ft.
Copyright has not been assigned to the UCLA University Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the
records must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the UCLA
University Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.