Title: Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District VII Records
California. Division of Highways
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District VII Records, F3790, California State Archives.
The California Highway Commission created District VII, encompassing the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego,
San Bernardino, Riverside, and Imperial in 1911. In 1924 the Highway Commission changed District VII boundaries with the transfer
of San Bernardino, Riverside and Imperial counties to District VIII. Additional boundary changes occurred in 1933 with the
transfer of San Diego County to District XI.
District headquarters were located in Los Angeles, under the direction of a District Engineer. Aided by an Assistant District
Engineer, along with section units consisting of Right of Way, Maintenance, Survey, Accounting, and Construction, the District
Engineer was responsible for all State Highway activity within his district. For details of district structure and description
of positions and duties, see Dept. of Public Works, Management Survey of Responsibilities and Authorities, Headquarters Records
Series entry #17.