Correspondence, clippings, photographs, pamphlets, and printed matter, relating to Polish commercial interests, emigre organizations,
fund raising for war relief, and consular activity in South Africa.
A Polish Consulate General was established in Cape Town, Union of South Africa, on January 1, 1929. It was headed by Consul
General Micha[UNK]l Kwapiszewski from January 1, 1930 to August 1, 1931. It then became an Honorary Consulate under Honorary
Consul Cyryl Caro (August 1, 1931-September 15, 1934). In 1935, it was a Consular Agency and in 1936 an Honorary Vice-Consulate
under Jan Majewski. In 1938, the post was an Honorary Consulate with Majewski as Honrary Consul, and in 1939 its status was
raised to that of a regular Consulate. It remained as such, under Consul Majewski, until its liquidation in 1946. Among the
changes occurring during this period were an expansion in both sphere of activity (reflecting the post's elevated status)
and territorial jurisdiction (to include both Northern and Southern Rhodesia by 1938).
1 manuscript box
((0.4 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact
the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection open for research.