Title: Department of Natural Resources Records,
Date (inclusive): 1927-Sept. 30, 1961
Inventory: F3735; F3809
Department of Natural Resources
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Department of Natural Resources Records, F3735; F3809, California State Archives.
The Department of Natural Resources was created in 1927 (ch. 128) combining under a single agency the state's interests in
the fields of fish and game conservation, forestry, mining, parks, and resources management. Under the 1927 law four divisions
were specified: Fish and Game; Forestry; Mines and Mining; and Parks. A division of Oil and Gas was added in 1929 (Ch. 535).
Various divisional name changes occurred in succeeding years (see below under individual divisional subgroups) and additional
programs in recreation and soil conservation were added. Fish and Game attained separate departmental status in 1951 (Ch.
195). The Department of Natural Resources was reorganized in 1961 and renamed as the Department of Conservation (Ch. 2037).
The same law created a new Department of Parks and Recreation.