Scope and Content
Title: Stephen W. Jones Diary,
Date (inclusive): January 1, 1859 - November 30, 1864
Collection number: MS 3071
Jones, Stephen W.
Extent: 2 letters (70 typed pages)
California Historical Society, North Baker Library
San Francisco, California 94105-4014
Robert I. Slyter 1978
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to The North Baker Research Library. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing
to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of The North Baker Research Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be
obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Stephen W. Jones Diary. MS 3071, California Historical Society, North Baker Research Library.
- Date & place of birth:
- April 24,? place unknown
- Washington, Nevada County
Scope and Content
- Original or Copy:
- Photocopy of typed copy, 2 letters included
- Time span of diary:
- January 1, 1859 - November 30, 1864 (with some gaps)
- Description of diarist:
- Does mining for various companies and does odd jobs. Belongs to Sons of Temperance Club, and attends dancing school and singing
school. Corresponds with fiancee Pamelia White, whom he later marries. Fiancee, in letter, tells that Jones has been out West
mining for ten years and has not yet made his fortune.
- Contents of diary:
- Daily events in the life of a miner while working in the Alpha Hydraulic mine in the 1860's; consisting of short, routine
entries on the weather and the activiti of the mining community. Gives a good illustration of daily life--accidents, risks,
pastimes (singing and dancing schools, temperance sermons and lectures, travelling theatricals, and hurdy-gurdy girls). There
are references to the miners' taking care of each other when a fellow miner is sick or injured, and how they donate money
to help the wounded soldiers. News of the Civil War appears throughout. In the end, Jones mentions his decision to sell his
claim and move to Nevada.
- Main interests of diarist:
- Activities and dances at the Temperance Club
- Singing school; Dancing school
- Weather and mine conditions
Alpha Hydraulic mine, Nevada County
- Diaries, 1859- 1864
Gold mines and mining, Washington Nevada County
Sons of Temperance, Washington Nevada County