Scope and Content
Organization and Arrangement
Title: William Gibbs McAdoo Papers,
Date (inclusive): 1902-1938
Collection number: 350
McAdoo, William Gibbs, 1863-1941
Extent: 15 boxes (7.5 linear ft.)
9 oversize boxes
University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Abstract: William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941) was a lawyer with a practice in Chattanooga, Tennessee before relocating to New York City
in 1892. He developed system of rapid transit tunnels under the Hudson River and was president (1902-13) of the company which
built them. In 1912, McAdoo served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee and was later appointed Secretary
of the Treasury (1913). During World War I, he served as chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. He moved to Los Angeles, California
(1922) and served as a Democrat in the U.S. Senate (1933-38). The collection consists of correspondence, financial records,
and clippings related to the personal life and political career of William Gibbs McAdoo.
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections. Literary rights, including
copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds
the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold
Restrictions on Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Advance notice required for access.
Additional Physical Form Available
A copy of the original version of this online finding aid is available at the UCLA Department of Special Collections for in-house
consultation and may be obtained for a fee. Please contact:
- Public Services Division
- UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections
- Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
- Box 951575
- Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
- Telephone: 310/825-4988 (10:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m., Pacific
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Provenance/Source of Acquisition
Zeitlin & Ver Brugge Booksellers, gift and purchase, 1951.
[Identification of item], William Gibbs McAdoo Papers (Collection 350). Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young
Research Library, University of California, Los Angeles.
UCLA Catalog Record ID
McAdoo was born near Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, on October 31, 1863; attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville;
admitted to Tennessee bar in 1885 and began law practice in Chattanooga, Tennessee; moved to New York City, 1892; developed
system of rapid transit tunnels under the Hudson River and was president (1902-13) of the company which built them; vice chairman,
Democratic National Committee, 1912; appointed Secretary of the Treasury by Woodrow Wilson, 1913-1918; chairman of the Federal
Reserve Board during World War I; moved to Los Angeles, California, 1922; served as Democrat, U.S. Senate, 1933-38; died while
visiting Washington, D.C., on February 1, 1941.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of correspondence, financial records, and clippings related to the personal life and political career
of William Gibbs McAdoo. Includes materials related to the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 as well as bound volumes of clippings
related to the Hudson and Manhattan Railway Company.
Organization and Arrangement
Arranged in the following series:
- Books on the Federal Reserve Act and the Federal Reserve System (Boxes 1-3).
- McAdoo's personal financial ledgers, 1902-36 (Box 4).
- Correspondence and related material concerning McAdoo's activities with the Boy Scouts of America, 1919-20 (Boxes 5-6).
- Ledgers, account books, and records concerning McAdoo's business affairs, 1919-31 (Boxes 7-8).
- Personal files re: financial affairs, 1920-26 (Boxes 9-10).
- Correspondence and papers re: professional career, 1910-22, and Senatorial affairs, 1936-38 (Box 11).
- U.S. Railway Administration and Democratic National Committee chairmanship (Box 12).
- Private correspondence, legal documents, and miscellany, ca. 1911-22 (Box 14).
- Personal receipt file, 1919-20 (Box 15).
- Bound copies of mortgages, legal documents, etc. (Boxes 16-17).
- Clippings re: Hudson & Manhattan Railway Company and Century Syndicate Company (Boxes 18-21).
- U.S. Liberty Loan posters (Boxes 22-24).
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
McAdoo, William Gibbs, 1863-1941--Archives.
United States--Federal Reserve Act.
Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Company.
Legislators--United States--Archival resources.