This collections chiefly consists of photographic negatives of San Francisco Bay Area news events taken by staff photographers
The News-Call Bulletin
and its predecessors,
The Call Bulletin
which were daily newspapers of San Francisco, Calif.
The San Francisco News-Call Bulletin was the final incarnation of several newspapers with a long history in the city of San Francisco. Formed in August 1959 by
the merging of The San Francisco News and The Call Bulletin, the paper was also the descendant of The Call, The Bulletin, The San Francisco Journal and The San Francisco Post. Under these various titles, the newspaper's history dates back to the earliest years of the city of San Francisco. The photographic
and newsclipping files that make up the present archive, however, date to the second decade of the twentieth century (ca.
1915), therefore this later period is most important for an understanding of the collection.
Hart, James D.
A companion to California.
New York: Oxford University. Press, 1978: pp. 375-377.
ca. 365,000 negatives (glass and film) and ca. 30,000 photographic prints
Copyright has been assigned to The Bancroft Library for all materials for which the donor owned copyright. Materials created
by other agencies or individuals may be under copyright retained elsewhere. All requests for permission to publish photographs
must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Pictorial Collections.
Negative files RESTRICTED: available for use by appointment with the Curator of Pictorial Collections or the Archivist for
Pictorial Collections. Photographic print files remain unarranged and unavailable for access. Inquiries concerning these materials
should be directed, in writing, to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library.