Scope and Content
Title: Zimmerman (Rheta L.) Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1933-1953
Collection number: Mss85
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Zimmerman (Rheta L.) Collection, Mss85, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
Zimmerman, Rheta L.
Coolbrith, Ina Donna (1841-1928)
Drury, Newton B.
Kent, Thomas F.
Roosevelt, Franklin Delano (1883-1945) -Correspondence
California State Park Commission
Presidio of San Francisco (Calif.)
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Daughters of the American Revolution
California Club (San Francisco, Calif.)
Columbia (Calif.) State Historic Park
Kings Canyon National Park (Calif.)
Parks -California -San Francisco
Cemeteries -California -San Francisco
Historic sites -California -San Francisco
Historic sites -California -Columbia
History -Societies, etc. -Correspondence
During the 1930s and 1940s Mrs. Rheta L. Zimmerman was Historian of the California Club
and the Yerba Buena Parlor (SF), Native Daughters of the Golden West. She was also a
member of the San Francisco Historic Sites Committee (1938). Her primary interest was in
California landmark preservation. She was involved in the creation of the Columbia State
Historic Park (1934-1949), as well as in the restoration of the San Francisco Presidio
(1938) and in the creation of small historic parks in San Francisco (1940-1946). Mrs.
Zimmerman also spoke on San Francisco historic sites before service organizations and on
Scope and Content
The Zimmerman Collection consists of correspondence and clippings relating to the
establishment of Columbia (Calif.) State Historic Park (1934-1949); the restoration of
the San Francisco Presidio (1938); the establishment of the Ina Coolbrith Park (San
Francisco, 1946); the establishment of Laurel Hill Cemetery Park (San Francisco, 1940);
and, the establishment of the John Muir-Kings Canyon National Park. It also contains
minutes of the San Francisco Historic Sites Committee (1938) and documents relating to
various landmarking projects in the San Francisco area (1933-1947).