The Zimmerman Collection consists of correspondence and clippings relating to the
establishment of Columbia (Calif.) State Historic Park (1934-1949); the restoration of
the San Francisco Presidio (1938); the establishment of the Ina Coolbrith Park (San
Francisco, 1946); the establishment of Laurel Hill Cemetery Park (San Francisco, 1940);
and, the establishment of the John Muir-Kings Canyon National Park. It also contains
minutes of the San Francisco Historic Sites Committee (1938) and documents relating to
various landmarking projects in the San Francisco area (1933-1947).
During the 1930s and 1940s Mrs. Rheta L. Zimmerman was Historian of the California Club
and the Yerba Buena Parlor (SF), Native Daughters of the Golden West. She was also a
member of the San Francisco Historic Sites Committee (1938). Her primary interest was in
California landmark preservation. She was involved in the creation of the Columbia State
Historic Park (1934-1949), as well as in the restoration of the San Francisco Presidio
(1938) and in the creation of small historic parks in San Francisco (1940-1946). Mrs.
Zimmerman also spoke on San Francisco historic sites before service organizations and on
Collection is open for research.