Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Berkeley Club Papers, 1873-1960
BANC MSS C-H 9  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (95.08 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Content Note
  • History Note

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Berkeley Club Papers,
    Date (inclusive): 1873-1960
    Collection Number: BANC MSS C-H 9
    Creator: Berkeley Club
    Extent: Number of containers: 1 box, 3 cartons
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Abstract: Letters from members addressed to the secretary; minutes of meetings, 1873-1960; by-laws, names of members, etc.; copies of papers read at meetings.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Berkeley Club papers, BANC C-H 9, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Materials Cataloged Separately

    • Photographs have been removed and cataloged separately, under Berkeley Club.

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    These papers came to the Bancroft Library from several sources. Some were transferred from the University of California Archives; some were collected from members by Arthur J. Pillsbury, 1933-1938, and presented to the Library; some were removed from the Papers of Leon J. Richardson, one-time secretary of the Club; the last volume of minutes was presented by the last secretary, Colonel Roland Pinger.

    Scope and Content Note

    Covering the period from its inception to its demise, these papers consist of letters addressed to the Club's secretary; organizational records, including minutes of meetings (complete except for the period 1942-1947); and copies of some of the papers presented at meetings.

    History Note

    The Berkeley Club had its origin in a dinner meeting held January 13, 1873 at the home of Daniel C. Gilman, president of the University of California, with Henry Durant, Martin Kellogg and Dr. J. K. McLean present. The purpose was to consider the formation of a club to discuss literary, social and scientific questions. There was further discussion of the proposal at another dinner meeting on February 6, which Joseph LeConte, George Mooar and Joseph A. Benton also attended. At the meeting, the name Berkeley Club was adopted, and the first formal meeting was held on February 13 with fifteen charter members present. At each successive meeting, held fortnightly, a paper was presented by a member previously appointed, followed by a discussion in which all participated. The range of discussion was great, reflecting the varied backgrounds of the members, most of whom were professors, clergymen, lawyers and businessmen. The Club continued in existence for eighty-eight years, the last meeting held September 8, 1960.