Scope and Content
MATERIAL TRANSFERRED TO SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
Title: Colt Press Records,
Date (inclusive): 1920-1973
Collection number: Special Collections M0240
3.5 linear ft.
Stanford University. Libraries. Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives.
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections.
Purchased from Brickrow Bookshop, San Francisco, 1973.
[Identification of item] Colt Press Records, M0240, Dept. of Special Collections, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford,
Scope and Content
The Colt Press Papers is a collection of business records and correspondence of the Colt Press of San Francisco, California.
The business records include: 1) duplicate copies of invoices, 2) checks and bank statements, 3) ledgers, 4) income and sales
tax returns, 5) legal contracts and agreements and other financially related material. The correspondence includes letters
to and from various people some of whom are: 1) Henry Miller, 2) Valenti Angelo, 3) Frederic Goudy, 4) William Saroyan, 5)
Edmund Wilson, 6) Elmer Adler, 7) Beatrice Ward, 8) Robinson Jeffers, 9) John Steinbeck and 10) Paul Bennett.
MATERIAL TRANSFERRED TO SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
Group One : PRINTED EPHEMERA
- 1. Booklet: From Mumbo Jumbo and her Nephew to Paul Maul - Dools from the Barstools. Jumbo Press.
- 2. Advertisement for
A Guide and Handbook for Amateurs of Printing. Jumbo Press (two).
- 3. Booklet: Frederic W. Goudy - a Confidential Interview. Jumbo Press.
- 4. Booklet: Reverting to Type by Jane Grabhorn. Red Tower Press.
- 5. Five loose pages - Reverting to Type.
- 6. A Typographic Discourse for the Distaff Side of Printing, a Book by Ladies. Jumbo Press, 1937. 12 loose pages
- 7. Advertisement - Jumbo Press
- 8. Birth Announcement -
- 9. Proof with draft of illumination
- 10. 2×3 printed note re: recital given at Miss Leila's
- 11. A Typographic Solecism
- 12. Printed invitation to Harold Seeger's birthday -
Date: May 9, 1939
- 13. Acrolades From the Press
- 14. An Evening with Fred Goudy. Invitation to a dinner honoring Goudy -
Date: June 10, 1940
- 1. Printed birthday greetings printed by Jumbo Press to Frederic Goudy
- 2. Fragment of a printed story about Goudy
- 3. A Guide & Handbook for Amateurs of Printing. Jumbo Press -
- 4. Printed poem with illustration of a cat
- 5. Coverslip- Keepsake 1938 - Pilgrimage to Deepdene
- 6. Guest Book - cover - for the marriage of Marie Louise & Jackson Burke -
- 1. Fragment by William Saroyan - printed by Jumbo Press for Albert M. Bender
- 2. An Fragment Unpublished by the Jumbo Press - manuscript of printed material inserted.
- 3. Individuality by M. Landi. Printed by Jane & Robert Grabhorn,
- 4. Show bill -
Diana Dane, performing - announcement of date and location of performance
- 5. Swing Low Sweet Sherwood (two)
- 6. Block print - series of elephant figures - symbol of Jumbo Press
- 7. Melissa Wilson's a wearin' the Green Sleeves,
Date: March 17, 1945
- 8. Block print - Jumbo Press
- 9. Printed letter - Martha Jane to Mother
- 10. Printed broadside entitled Oh Dearly Beloved
- 11. Printed Broadside - And So...
- 12. Uncut pages of A Typographic Discourse (6 pages)
- 1. Specimen Pages -
The Colussus of Maroussi, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co., New York,
- 2. Specimen Page -
The Pragmatic Test, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co., New York,
- 3. Specimen Page -
Yvor Winters, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co. New York,
- 4. Publication announcement -
The Letters of Frank Norris,
- 5. Advertisement - Announcement of new books from Colt Press
- 6. Booklet - Life & Hard Times or Sherwood Grover's 25 Years with the Grabhorn Press,
- 7. Chapter fragment - Chapter 1 - Conversation between Nynheer and Horatio (2 pages)
- 8. Colt Forty-Five,
- 9. Birthday greetings to Robert Grabhorn,
Date: May 7, 1970
- 10. Invitation to a dinner honoring Albert Sperisen,
- 11. Announcement of birthday celebration for Robert Grabhorn's 36th birthday - in French
- 12. Five proofs - with illuminations
- 13. Printed invitation from Dr. & Mrs. A.W. Ward
- 14. Invitation to a Christmas Gathering
- 15. Printed Poem - Lullabye, signed Marie Louise Burke,
Date: Sept. 15, 1939
- 16. Poem - With no Raison d'Etre but Instead of a Lettre
Date: March 4, 1952
- 17. Broadside of a poem - no title - 1st line - Who's that lying in the middle of the floor...
- 18. Jan the Dutch Barge Dog by Victoria Bissell,
- 19. Happy New Year Greetings -
- 20. Printed poem by Johathan Swift - greeting card from Jane & Robert Grabhorn
- 21. Easter greeting card
- 22. Negroes of America by Tommy Bransten
- 1. Revolt of a Tired Typesetter, Grabhorn Press,
- 2. The Brothers the Mothers by Jane Grabhorn, Grace Hoper Press,
- 3. Booklet: description of books printed in
and the possibilities for
- 4. The Colt Springs High for
description of books in print and for sale.
- 5. A Checklist of Colt Press Books, list of books printed during
- 6. Colt Press First Anniversary
description of books in print and out of print
- 7. Printed note to customers re: progress of the Press
- 8. Book Order Forms - Colt Press (6)
- 9. Address mailing slips (4)
- 10. List of Colt Press books for sale
- 11. The Terry-Broderick Duel by Carroll Douglas Hall Advertisement introducing the above book to Colt Press patrons
- 12. Announcement of publication of
Spanish Proverbs collected and translated by Mildred Yorba Macarthur.
- 13. Proofs for the Colt Press Epicure Series
- 14. Announcement of an exhibition of typographical work of Jane Grabhorn
- 15. Announcement of exhibition of Colt Press Books
- 16. Advertisement for
Maurizius Forever by Henry Miller
- 17. Colt Press newsletter - August 1941, two inserts - loose
- 18. Advertisements for
The Colussus of Maroussi by Henry Miller (two)
- 19. Colt Press Newsletter
Date: Dec. 1941
- 20. Advertisement for
Lala Montez by Oscar Lewis
- 21. Invitation to an exhibit re: Jane Grabhorn & the Colt Press presented by American Institute of Graphic Arts
- 1. Broadside: announcement of exhibit of Jumbo & Colt Press books -
Date: April 7, 1956
- 2. Broadside: Christmas Gifts for Lovers - list of various Colt Press books for sale -
- 3. Book covers: 1.
The Colussus of Maroussi, 2.
The Wife of Martin Guerre, 4.
The Boys in the Back Room, 5. Note Books of Night
- 4. Legal agreement between Colt Press and George Ezra Dave re: subscription to all books issued by the Press
- 5. Announcement of an exhibit & sale of drawings by Otis Oldfield for Colt Press publication of McTeague
- 6. Title page for the book
McTeague by Frank Norris
- 7. List of books in print and to be printed by the Colt Press
- 8. Books for Spring from the Colt Press (two)
- 9. Proof for the pamphlet entitled Colt Press First Anniversary
- 10. Broadside: Agreement between Colt Press and George Eckhardt entitling Eckhardt to one volume of every book printed by
Colt Press, signed Jane Grabhorn,
Date: Sept. 22, 1967
- 1. Proof for cover of
The Gold Rush Song Book
- 2. Concerning a Cat - Letters from my Nephew
- 3. Broadside: Songs of the Grabhorn Press - The Ballad of Robert O'Grabhorn
- 4. Broadside: Travel Tips: from Highly - Seasoned Old Traveler Jane Grabhorn to Ruth Woods,
Date: June 20, 1955
- 5. Broadside: Go Go Go!
- 6. Broadside: story about Harold Seeger in celebration of his 43rd birthday,
- 7. Birthday greeting to Robert Grabhorn from Jane Grabhorn for his 68th birthday entitled Once Again into the Breeches
- 8. Broadside: printed by Jane Grabhorn for Albert M. Bender,
poetry re: St. Patrick
- 9. Proof sheet for the title page of
- 10. Broadside: Individuality by M. Landi printed by Jane & Robert Grabhorn,
- 11. Broadside: invitation to a party at the Grabhorn Press
- 12. Broadside: invitation to celebration of R. Grabhorn's 46th birthday,
- 13. Broadside: A Valentine for Jane
- 14. Broadside: Ode to a Returning Voyager, Florence Walter,
Date: Nov. 2, 1957
- 15. Broadside: 1st line - Paul, oh Paul, why do you sell hides?
- 16. Broadside: birthday greeting to Bill on his 56th birthday
- 17. Broadside: The Whorscope of Sherwood Bissell Grover
- 18. Broadside: Mama to Papa
- 19. Broadside: Superwoman Lil
- 20. Broadside: O Bill dear Bill
- 21. Broadside: Printed for Margie Pratt by Jane Grabhorn
- 22. Broadside: birthday greeting to Bill for his 60th birthday,
Date: Jan. 7, 1970
- 23. Broadside: birthday greeting to Robert Grabhorn for his 50th birthday,
Date: May 17, 1950
- 24. Broadside: The City
- 25. Broadside: get well card addressed to David from [Jane & Robert] Grabhorn
- 26. Broadside: A tooth for a tooth
- 27. Broadside: Friday 13
- 28. Broadside: Thanksgiving message for
Date: Nov. 27, 1970
- 29. Broadside: To My Friends
- 1. Poster re: the book Omai,
First Polynesian Ambassador to England
- 2. Poster re: the book
- 3. Poster re: the book
The Epicure in Hawaii
- 4. Photostat of reviews
- 5. Broadside re: the book
The Colussus of Maroussi
- 6. Broadside: Pilgrimage to Rampart
- 7. Broadsides: Wedding Book - Carol Walter, Henry Sinton -
- 8. Broadside: Birthday Boy Breaks Bookies - Grabhorn Scores Fifty-Five
- 9. Broadside: La Tosca bar sinister
- 10. Broadside: Fellow Hamburghers
- 11. Broadside: birthday greeting for Robert Grabhorn,
- 12. Broadside: Who was that lady I seen you with?
- 13. Go Grover Go!, salute to Sherwood P. Grover,
- 14. Pencil sketches of Robert Grabhorn (2)
- 1. Grabhorn, Jane.
Robert Arlie Grabhorn, a Portrait, Jumbo Press,
Date: May 17, 1938
- 2. Montagu, George - Earl of Sandwich.
The Bridle-Way Elkin Mathews Limited, London,
- 3. Montague, George - Earl of Sandwich.
In a Green Shade, Elkin Mathews & Marrot, Ltd., London,
- 4. Montague, George - Earl of Sandwich.
Windows, same as above,
The Epicure in Hawaii, Honolulu Star - Bulletin, Hawaii, Colt Press,