In 1936, University of California President Robert Gordon Sproul appointed the Committee on Drama, Lectures, and Music (later
known as the Committee on Fine Arts Production and currently known as the Center for the Performing Arts) to present on-campus
one musical event each year. The first event sponsored by the Committee occurred on 1937 February 4 when the Vienna Choir
Boys performed on the UCLA campus. During the 1960s under the leadership of Frances Inglis, the Center built a national and
international reputation for the size and sophistication of its programs. In 1973, Inglis was succeeded by Edmond Harris,
who increased the number of programs and encouraged works by new and avant-garde artisits. In 1979, Harris was succeeded by
the present director, Pebbles Wadsworth.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.