The current Classics Department at UCLA originates from a small department called "Classical Languages," formed in 1919 at
the inception of UCLA and consisting of the professor and six classes. In 1922, a second professor joined the department
and classes in Ancient Greek were added to the curriculum. By 1965, the faculty numbered 12 members responsible for courses
in Latin and Greek and another six members responsible for Indo-European studies (Hungarian, Finnish, Celtic, Irish, and the
ancient languages of Sanskrit and Hittite), and the department has instituted programs leading to the master and doctoral
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.