Register of the Christian Colony (Acampo, Calif.) Records, 1905-1940

Processed by Don Walker; machine-readable finding aid created by Don Walker
San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
11793 North Micke Grove Road
Lodi, CA 95241
Phone: (209) 463-4119
Fax: (209) 369-2178
Email: dwalker@uop.edu
URL: http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/
© 2000
San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Register of the Christian Colony (Acampo, Calif.) Records, 1905-1940

Collection number: Ms45

San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum



Lodi, California

Contact Information

  • San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
  • 11793 North Micke Grove Road
  • Lodi, CA 95241
  • Phone: (209) 463-4119
  • Fax: (209) 369-2178
  • Email: dwalker@uop.edu
  • URL: http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/
Processed by:
Don Walker
Date Completed:
1998
Encoded by:
Don Walker
© 2000 San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Christian Colony (Acampo, Calif.) Records,
Date (inclusive): 1905-1940
Collection number: Ms45
Creator:
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
Repository: San Joaquin County Museum.
Lodi, CA 95241
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open for research by appointment only.

Publication Rights

The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Christian Colony (Acampo, Calif.) Records, Ms45, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum.

Access Points

corporate name

Colony Church of Christ (Acampo, Calif.)

subject

Real estate development - California - San Joaquin County

geographic name

Acampo (Calif.) - History - Sources

Biography

In 1904 a Stockton (Calif.) bank hired J.P. Dargitz to sell 1000 acres of land formerly belonging to State Senator Benjamin F. Langford north of the Mokelumne River near Acampo. Dargitz advertised the land in a magazine published by the Christian Church as available exclusively to members of that denomination. The land was subdivided into ten acre parcels that sold for between $1200 and $1500 each. A sufficient number of settlers were attracted to the region within a year to warrant establishment of the Colony Church of Christ. Members of this church continued to farm the region for more than thirty-five years, until the church property was sold to the Bruella School District (1940).

Scope and Content

The Christian Colony Records consist principally of the Colony Church of Christ (Acampo, Calif.) records (1905-1940).

CONTAINER LIST

 

BOX 1: CHRISTIAN COLONY PAPERS

 

1.1: Christian Colony Prospectuses (1906); Church dedication service (1906)

 

1.2: Member Pledge Card (1905); Members Photograph (c1906); Church Membership Lists (1922, 1925, 1940, n.d.)

 

1.3: Church Records (1905-1919)

 

1.4: Church Minutebook (1905-1940)

 

1.5: Church Draft Minutes; Corresp.; Misc. (1915-1916)

 

1.6: Church Draft Minutes; Corresp.; Misc. (1917-1919)

 

1.7: Church Draft Minutes; Corresp.; Misc. (1920-1922)

 

1.8: Church Draft Minutes; Corresp.; Misc. (1925-1940)

 

1.9: Church Sale---Corresp.; Deeds; Minutes, etc. (Sp 1940)