Guide to the Harwood Family Papers, 1722-1962
Guide to the Harwood Family Papers, 1722-1962
Collection number: M0206Department of Special Collections and University Archives
Stanford University Libraries
- Department of Special Collections
- Green Library
- Stanford University Libraries
- Stanford, CA 94305-6004
- Phone: (650) 725-1022
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://library.stanford.edu/spc
- Processed by:
- Special Collections staff
- Date Completed:
- 1971 Apr.
1. 1967, June,Bill of Benedict Arnold due from Samuel Huntington, debtor.
2. 1769, July 9,Benjamin Franklin to [William Bartram] with notes on the verso by Bartram. ALS
3. 1769, July 9,Pos. photo of No. 2 above
4. 1769, July 9,Typescript of letter in No. 2 above.
5. 1769, July 9,Negative photo of No. 2
6. 1776, Feb. 5,Elizabeth Franklin to Mrs. Bache.
7. 1778, Feb. 14,Richard Bache to Benjamin Franklin (facs.)
8. 1782, Sept. 8,B. Franklin to David Hartley ALS
9. 1785, May 14,Alexander Hamilton to Wm. Duer ALS
10. 1785, May 16,Facs. ALS Geo. Washington to Fran. Hopkinson. N.B. by unknown.
11. 1786, Sept.7, A. Burr to 
12. 1805, Sept. 17,D[olley] P[ayne] Madison to Mrs. Harwood. ALS
13. , Sept. 17,AL neg. photo (2 copies) of front side only of letter in No. 12.
14. 08, Mar. 3,T. J[efferson] to Mr. Smith ANS
15. 1812 - 1855Notes - mostly naval or from ship cruises.
A. Correspondence of Brit. Naval Chronicle [notes]
1. Naval transactions for the year 1823
2. Corresp. Br. Naval Chronicle, Dec. 1, 1812; Nov. 1, 1812; Oct. 18, 1812;from report of [Capt. Whingate] to [Adm. Weaver].
3. Capt. Gordon's report 25. Oct. 25, 1812.
4. Corresp. Jan. 16, 1813; Jan. 28, 1813.
B. 1824Notes: 1st page ink crossed out. pencil corrections and revisions throughout. On board Constitution etc. a diary Oct. 1824 - July 26, 1825. Plan of Ancient Syracuse set in (hand done Map 20 Sicilian Caves. some ink revisions done in another hand.
C. 1827 April[diary?]
D.  July 20,log or diary - incomplete
E. 1832, Aug. 23-25(incomplete) log or diary
F. U.S. Schr Shark, March 1855
1. Log - March 18-31
2. Abstract kept on board the Shark, April 1836
3. Remarks, April 1836
4. Remarks relative to Salutes, April 1836
5. April 1836,Donna Maria II's wedding
6. April 1836,Anchored in the Tagas, etc.
16. 1812, Nov Memo. Isaac Hull and C[harles] Morris
17. 1813, Jan. 2,Aunt Louise  to  - in French ALS
18. 1813, Aug. 3,Jesse D. Elliott to Cox ALS
19. 1814, Feb. 25,Jesse D. Elliott to Cox ALS
20. 1816, May 4,James Monroe to  ALS
21. 1819, Mar. 20,Wm. Bainbridge to A.A. Harwood ALS
22. 1820, Feb. 22,Samuel L. Brown to A.A. Harwood ALS
23. 1820, Mar. 28,J. Chauncey to commanding officer of the Hornet ALS
24. 1822, May 29,Wm. Bainbridge to A.A. Harwood ALS
25. 1823, Aug. 14,David Porter to Allen Harwood ALS
26. 1823, Aug. 14,Ralph Voorhees to Harwood ALS
27. 1824, July 26,Samuel Southard to Harwood ALS
28. 1825, April 16,John U. Farnham to Burnett -and enclosures.
29. 1826, Sept. 3,Allen [Harwood] to Mrs. Sophia Bache ALS
30. 1827, Jan. 9, to Dear Aunt and Uncle-last part missing.
31. 1928, Jan. 5,J. Chauncey, et. al. to Harwood ALS
32. 1831, April 11,Certificate signed by J.B. Gilpin DS
33. 1831, Aug. 11,Allen [Harwood] to Mrs. Bache ALS
34. 1833, June 18,August Davezac to Harwood (American lawyer and diplomat) ALS
35. 1833, July 3,Lt. Gen [Simon] [Bernas or Bernard] to Harwood ALS
36. 1834, Mar. 12,Andrew A. Harwood to Mrs. Bache ALS
37. 1834, July 14,Andrew A. Harwood to Mrs. Bache ALS
38. 1835, June 5,Andrew A. Harwood to Mrs. Bache ALS
39. 1835, Aug. 20,[A.A. Harwood] intended for Capt. Ingraham
40. , July 14,Andrew A. and Mrs. Harwood to Mrs. Bache ALS
41. ,Charles Babbage to Sr. John Hershel ALS
42. 1838, July 13,F. Arago to Lavalleé -in French ALS
43. 1839, Mar. 7,J. W. Dorr to Harwood ALS
44. 1839, April 1,E. Leslie to Harwood ALS
45. 1840, May 9,M.C. Perry to Harwood ALS
46. 1843, Mar. 11,A. P. Upshur to Harwood ALS
47. 1844, Mar. 30,Oath of Office of John C. Calhoun [Facs.?]
48. 1844, June 26,J. Y. Mason to Powell et. al. LS
49. 1844, June 27,Passport of Harwood signed by J. C. Calhoun
50. 1844, Sept. 11,Baron de Mackau to Harwood -in French ALS (French Admiral).
51. 1845, July. 5,J. C. Calhoun in 3rd person to W. Walker AL
52. 1845, Mar. 11,D. Webster to Walker ALS
53.  June 17,Nathaniel Parker Willis to J. Fenimore Cooper ALS
54. 1846, Oct. 30,J. Barron to L. M. Powell ALS
55. 1846, Nov. 7,D[avid] G. Farragut to Capt. L. Powell, together with a diagram of fixtures on the Decatur. ALS
56. 1847, June 9,William Duane to A. A. Harwood ALS
57. 1849, Feb. 12,J. Y. Mason to Harwood LS
58. 1850, June 8,Louis Warrington to Harwood LS
59. 1850, Nov. 6-7,D. G. Farragut to Harwood ALS
60. 1851, June 16,Henry W. Longfellow to Harwood (with part of envelope) ALS
61. 1852, Aug. 29,Andrew Harwood to Frank Harwood ALS
62. 1852, Oct. 18,John P. Kennedy to Harwood LS
63. 1852, Oct. 30,D. G. Farragut to Harwood ALS
64. 1852, Dec. 16,Napoleon III -in French ALS
65. 1853, Jan. 14,Charles Morris to Mrs. M. B. Harwood ALS
66. 1853, April 18,Andrew Harwood to Frank Harwood ALS
67. 1853, May 19 (May 31),Clip -in French - copy of a letter from Chancellor Count Nesselrode to Rechid-Pacha, minister of foreign affairs of La Porte, dated from St. Petersburg.
68. 1853, June 27,I. H. Hill to Harwood ALS
69. , Oct. 30,John Graham to Harwood ALS
70. 1854, July 19,Franklin Harwood to Dear Sally ALS
71. 1854, Sept. 29,S. H. Stringham to A. A. Harwood LS
72. 1854, Nov. 22,M. Van Buren to Harwood ALS
73. 1855, Jan. 20,Charles Morris to Harwood ALS
74. 1855, March 30,John C. Long to Cmdr. Harwood ALS
75. 1855, June 30,Phineas Stowe - printed Welcome Hymn dedicated to A.A. Harwood, officers and crew of Cumberland.
76. 1855, Oct. 8,James C. Dobbin to Harwood LS
77. 1856, Aug. 19,Navy Dept. to A. A. Harwood - Appointment as Captain. s. C. F. Welsh
78. 1857, Mar. 1,Franklin Harwood to Dear Sally ALS
79. 1860, July 21,W. J. Duane to Harwood ALS
80. 1860, July 23, The Leaflet, political-literary sheet
81. 1861, Jan. 10,John A. Dalgren to President Lincoln. ALS - with comments of Lincoln, Jan. 10, 1861.ANS. [June?]
82. 1861, July 23,G. S. Wilson to his brother ALS
83. 1861, Nov. 17,Spencer F. Baird to Harwood ALS
84. 1861, Nov. 17,Nathaniel Parker Willis to Harwood ALS
85. 1862, Feb. 7,John A. McClernard to Harwood
86. 1862, May 23,N. P. Banks to E. M. Stanton ALS
87. 1862, June 11,A. Lincoln to [Baird] ALS
88. 1862, Oct. 10,A[lbert] Haenel to  French jurist -in French ALS
89. 1862, Oct. 23,John G. Nicolay to G. V. Fox, endorsed by Fox ALS
90. 1863, Jan. 10,S. F. Dupont to Harwood ALS
91. 1863, Feb. 24,Voucher: Survey of Military Defense - 1863 DS
92. 1863, Mar. 14,A. H. Foote to Harwood ALS
93. 1863, Mar. 17,John J. Cisco - treasury receipt
94. 1863, Mar. 27,Navy Dept. to A. A. Harwood, apptmt. as Commodore, s. Wm. Faxen
95. 1863, Mar. 28,Voucher: Survey of Military Defense, 1863, DS
96. 1863, April 4,William Luce, Memorandum DS
97. 1863, May 7,Fd. d'Orleans ALS (Prince de Joinville)
98. 1863, June 1,Joseph Smith to Harwood ALS
99. 1863, July 13,Commission of Geo. S. Wilson s. O.P. Morton DS
100. 1863, Aug. 6,Richard B. Duane to Harwood ALS
101. 1863, Nov.,Joseph G. Totten to Harwood ALS
102. 1863, Nov. 20,A. Lincoln to Sec. of War endorsed by E. M. Stanton ALS
103. 1863, Nov. 21,Gideon Welles to Harwood ALS
104. 1863, Nov. 27,Edward Bates to Harwood ALS
105. 1863, Dec. 3,Edward Bates to Harwood ALS
106. 1863, Dec. 4,Edward Bates to Harwood ALS
107. [n.d.-after 1946]Frank Freidel, Red Tape in 1863: Bates and Lincoln ptd. art. frag. publ. in THE HISTORIAN; ptd. correspondence (Harwood) - #102, 103 104.
108. 1864, Feb. 17,Confederate States Note s. A. Cooke, and M. Allen
109. 1864, May 6,Discharge of Geo. S. Wilson s. Wm. Michael DS
110. 1864, May ,Muster Roll - Geo. S. Wilson s. Henry
111. 1864, May 20,Discharge of Geo. S. Wilson, [J]ordan or Gordon-signed. DS
112. 1864, Aug. 6,Muster-out roll, Geo. S. Wilson (as 2nd Lieut.)
113. 1864, Aug. 6,Muster-in roll, Geo. S. Wilson (as 1st Lieut.)
114. 1864, Nov. 17,S. H. Stringham to Harwood LS
115. 1864,, Memorandum on a courtmartial under Gen. Meade, unsigned
116, 1865, Aug. 8,Discharge of Geo. S. Wilson (1st lieut) s. J. G. Vaid DS
117. 1865,W. E. Doyle, History of the Seventeenth Indian Macon, Ga. copy belonging to Geo. S. Wilson
118. 1866, June 13,D. G. Farragut to Harwood ALS
119. 1866, June 28,D. G. Farragut to Harwood ALS
120. 1867, Feb. 7,Wilhelm Von Tegetthoff to Harwood ALS
121. 1967, April 3,T[homas] P. Rossiter to Harwood - artist ALS
122. 1867, July 2,Edwin M. Stanton to Geo. S. Wilson LS
123. 1867, Dec. 10,G. Garibaldi (facsimile?) ALS
124. 1868, Feb. 4,Charles Dickens to Harwood -with cvr. ALS
125. 1868, Feb. 7,ticket stub to Dickens Reading and photo of Dickens - verso photo T.R. Rossiter
126. 1868, April 30,ticket to Impeachment of the President
127. 1868, Dec. 27,[Thomas] H. Stevens to Harwood ALS
128. 1867-68,frag. of Confederate States Bond s.E. Bailey
129. 1869, Mar. 4,Ticket to the inauguration reception of Pres. Grant.
130. 1869, April 16,Wilhelm Von Tegetthoff to Harwood (with cvr) ALS
131. 1869, June 26,Oliver W. Holmes to Dr. Gould ALS
132. 1870, Jan. 22,Charles  to  PS. of ALS
133. 1870, April 29,Charles Leahr to [Mr. Rice] ALS
134. 1871, Sept. 23,J[acob] Zeilin to Harwood ALS
135. 1871, Dec. 16,Geo. [Wilson] to Dear Mother ALS from Ft. Hall, Idaho.
136. 1872, Jan. 1,Jere [Burnett] to [Sam Burnett] on U.S.S. California (from Hawaii) ALS
137. 1872, Oct. 30,Geo. William Curtis to C. W. Willard ALS
138. 1872,Joseph Henry, ptd. Eulogy on Prof. Alexander Dallas Bache Wn. GPO
139. 1872,ptd. art. The Ancient Vessel Found in the Parish of Tume, Norway, ANS S[teven] B. L[uce] to A. A. Harwood, author and translator unknown.
140. 1876, June 19,Pass to the Vatican issued to Harwood, stamped but unsigned
141. 1879, Feb. 25,Pres. and Mrs. [R. B.] Hayes to [A.A.] Harwood - Ptd. invitation to meet members of the Diplomatic Corps
142. 1879, Dec. 4,William Duane to Harwood ALS
143. 1880, Nov. 2,Geo. [S. Wilson] to Mrs. Geo. S. Wilson ALS
144. 1881, Mar. 23,ALS Geo. [S. Wilson] to wife [fiancee being relieved of duty with the Indians, transfers, death of Gen. Upton, a Forster murder.
145. 1881, Sept. 23,ptd. ticket Obsequies of the Late President James A. Garfield in Rotunda of Capitol.
146. 1881, Oct. 22,J. C. Kelton to Geo. S. Wilson LS and ANS re: camp Huachuca, Arizona Terr. - with typescript copy and typescript copy of Nov. 12 enclosure.
147. 1884, June 30,ALS Geo [S. Wilson] to [Sarah?]
148. 1884, July 24,ptd. concert program complimentary t Miss Margaret Spencer Wilson.
149. 1884, Sept. 3,General Orders announcing death of Rear Admiral Harwood - ptd.
150. 1885, Feb. 6,Ptd. Senate Report No. 1174 pension for Margaret B. Harwood
151. 1886, Mar. 2,ptd. HR Report No. 817, Margaret B. Harwood Pension
152. 1886,W. E. Doyle, History of the Seventeenth Indian - original edition - 1865.
153. 1887, June 27,G. A. R. LaFayette Post No. 140, Dept of NY, ptd. announcement - G.S. Wilson a recruit.
154. 1888, Mar. 2,W. O. Gresham to Geo. S. Wilson ALS
155. 1889, Feb. 10,Francis F. Cleveland to Bessie Harwood ALS
156. 1890, Aug. 13,ALS Wm. James to Dear Katherine.
157. 1891, Nov. 4,Geo. S. Wilson Wilder's Brigade of Mounted Infantry in Tullahama: Chicamauga Campaigns ptd. paper for Kansas Commandery of the M.O.L.L.U.S.
158. 1891, Nov. 22,ALS Wm. M. [Wherry]? to [Geo. S.] Wilson re: forming an Infantry Association.
159. 1891,Dec. Geo. S. Wilson, ptd. art. The Enlisted Men of the United States Army, Journal of the U: S. Cavalry Assoc., extra from an address re: Wm. H. Jones, d.k.t.
160. 1892, Jan. 15,R. W. Gilder to Miss E. F. Harwood AL
161. 1892, Jan. 15,Edwin Booth to Miss E. F. Harwood AL
162. 1892, May 13,J. C. Bechinridge to Geo. S. Wilson AL
163. 1892, June 10,ALS John G. Bourke to Geo. S. Wilson
164. 1893, Mar. 23,James H. Wilson to Geo S.Wilson, copy, s. C. W. Abbot, Jr.
165. 1893, Mar. 29,J. T. Wilder to Sec. of War, copy s. C. W. Abbot, Jr.
166. 1893, April 6,Geo. L. Shoup to Geo. S. Wilson copy
167. 1893, April 9,J. G. Fisher to Sec. of War copy
168. 1893, April 19,U.S. Infantry Society ptd. brochure G. S. Wilson, founder, Corresp. Sec.
169. 1893, May 3,E. F. Townsend to Adj. Gen. U.S. Army copy
170. 1893, May 4,Harry C. Egbert to Sec. of War, copy
171. 1893, May 31,A. O. Miller to Sec. of War, copy
172. 1893, June 12,Thos. T. Dill to Daniel S. Lamont copy re: GSW applic.
173. 1893, June 17,DS Geo. S. Wilson Summary of Military History of Capt. Geo. Spencer Wilson.
174. 1893, June 19,ALS Geo. S. Wilson to Judge , application for appt. in A. G. Dept. as Major.
175. 1893, June,LS Geo. S. Wilson to Adj. Gen. U.S.A. application. list of recommendations.
176. 1893, Nov. 6,W. O. Gresham to Geo.S.Wilson-telegram
177. 1893, Nov. 6,Appointment of Wilson as Asst. to Adj. s. Daniel S. Lamont.
178. 1893, Nov. 6,Henry C. Corbin to Geo. S. Wilson -tel
179. 1893, Nov. 7,Hugh G. Brown to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
180. 1893, Nov. 7,J.C. Burnett to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
181. 1893, Nov. 7,Fred A. Smith to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
182. 1893, Nov. 7,Theodore Masher to Geo. S. Wilson -tel
183. 1893, Nov. 7,G. F. Cooke to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
184. 1893, Nov. 7,C.E. Tayman to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
185. 1893, Nov. 7,W. H. Gordon to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
186. 1893, Nov. 7,J. M. Nuckles to Geo. S. Wilson -tel.
187. 1893, Nov. 7,ALS [Wothirspooh] to GSWilson
188. 1893, Nov. 8,ALS U. L. Pitcher to G. S. Wilson
189. 1893, Dec. 12,Adj. Gen. Off. to G. S. Wilson - copy tel. s. J.C. Gilmore. apptmt as AAG and Maj.
190. ,O. B. Willcox - cert. of service of G. S. Wilson copy
191. 1894, Jan. 10,J. T. Wilder to G. S. Wilson ALS
192. 1894, Jan. 22,W. Q. Gresham to G. S. Wilson LS
193. 1895, Aug. 7,U.S. Inf. Soc. ptd circ. letter -re: essay prize and medal
194. 1896,G. S. Wilson - The Army; Its Employment During Time of Peace, and the Necessity for its Increase. Monographs of the U.S. Inf. Soc. - No. 1 Prize essay for 1896
195. 1896, Mar. 9,ALS Nat P. Phister to G. S. Wilson - prize money for essay.
196. Mar. 30,Theodore Roosevelt to G. S. Wilson LS
197. 1896, May 3,Two New York Sun clips re: Wilson's essay.
198. 1896, May 14,ALS A. [McClune] to G. S. Wilson
199. 1896, July 7,Oswald Garrison Villard to GSW ALS
200. 1896, July 14,[GSW] to Maj. Gen. Curdg - the army carbon
201. 1896, July 27,Oswald Garrison Villard to GSW ALS
202. 1896, Oct. 17,Portland, Oregon. Commercial Club ptd. program - 3rd annual dinner.
203. 1896, Oct. 17,GSW typed copy of his toast at Commercial Club Dinner
204. [1896, Nov. 21], Weekly Outlook, [Davenport, Iowa] clip
205. 1896, Dec. 4,[GSW] to Andrew H. Russell I copy, typescript
206. clip re: Late Maj. Wilson
207. 1897, Jan. 13,ALS Wm. M. Wherry to Mrs. Wilson
208. 1897, Jan. 13,J. M. Marshall to R. Douglass Burnet tel. re: taking body of GSW to San Francisco, Cal.
209. 1897, Jan. 13,Portland Oregonian - clip obit. GSW
210. 1897, Jan. 15,San Francisco Bulletin, clip obit. GSW
211. 1897, Jan. 18,War Dept. AGO ptd. announcement of death of GSW
212. 1897, Jan. 18,ALS A.A. DeLaffre to Mrs. Wilson
213. [1897, Jan. 23] The Army and Navy Journal. clip obit. of GSW
214. 1897, Feb.M.O.L.L.U.S. ptd. memorial to GSW
215. 1900, Jan. 28,[Emil] Fischer ANS note and clip in German, Nobel Prize Winner.
216. 1902, May 23,Hamlin School, San Francisco, ptd. Commencement invitation and program - Margaret Spencer Wilson.
217. 1903, April 21,R. W. Gilder to Sally ALS
218. 1905, Dec. 11,W. D. Howells to William James ALS and cvr. re: Confessions of an Ambitious Mother.
219. 1908-09,)Panama Railroad Co. Pass to Jeromel Fee s. Geo. W. Goethals, D. J. Fee
220. 1910, Dec. 20,Booker T. Washington to Huntington ALS
221. 1912, May 15,Geo. W. Cable to Dr. Rice ALS
222. 1913, Oct. 18,R. W. Gilder, two stanzas of a poem, (undated)AS, and printed copy of The Old House with signed notes of Gilder.
223. 1920, Sept. 2,J. P. Tumulty to Wilson Franklin Harwood LS
224. 1922, March 6,Anna Pavlova to Geo. P. McNear LS
225. 1922, Sept. 12,Warring G. Harding to Sarah W. Harwood LS with cvr.
226. 1924, July 1,W. Lee Lewis to David Star Jordan carbon - Science and Sciosophy
227. 1924, July 14,David Star Jordan to W. Lee Lewis TLS reply to #226, re; Lewisite, wars.
228. 1925, Nov. 18,Franklin D. Roosevelt to Sarah W. Harwood LS and cvr.
229. 1928, Aug. 11,Ray Lyman Wilbur to Mrs. F. B. Harwood -declines an invitation to speak.
230. 1928, Nov. 15,Herbert Hoover to Sally Franklin Harwood LS
231. 1936, Sept 18,Ray Lyman Wilbur to Winifred Lee Lewis TLS
232. 1937, March 26,Oswald Garrison Villard to Wilson F. Harwood LS
233. 1938, June 14,Vilhjalmur Stefansson to W. Lee Lewis TLS
234. 1938, June 30,W. Lee Lewis to Vilhjalmur Steffansson carbon
235. 1939, July 23, Chicago Sunday Herold clip - W. Lee Lewis re: use of war gas.
236. 1939, Oct. 12,Vilhjalmur Stefansson to W. Lee Lewis TLS re: salt
237. 1939, Nov. 13, Colonel Lewis on Lewisite ptd. responses from radio broadcast #Adventures in Science.
238. 1940, March 27,Carl Sandburg to Mrs. F. B. Harwood TNS
239. 1940, April 29,Carl Sandburg to Mrs. F. B. Harwood RLS re: a Lincoln letter
240. 1940, May 13,Carl Sandburg to Mr. Harwood TLS re: thanks for sending Lincoln and Bates letters
241. 1940, May 20,Max Farrand to Wilson F. Harwood and note on the Franklin Papers
242. 1940, Sept. 26,Carl Sandburg to Mr. Harwood TLS re: Lincoln letters.
243. 1940, Dec. 9,Herbert Hoover to W. Lee Lewis TLS re: Stanford Refunders Club to raise money
244. 1940, Dec. 16,Ray Lyman Wilbur to W. Lee Lewis TLS
245. [ca. 1940]Beniamino [Bufano] to Bob ALS - Helen Gahagan, state NYA project, Aubrey
246. 1941, Jan. 2,Herbert Hoover to W. Lee Lewis TLS
247. 1941, May 12,Clarence Street to Mr. Scott ALS Federal Union- U.S. and six Brit. Democracies
248. 1941, July 14,Harry E. Fosdick to Mrs. Margaret B. Harwood TNS pacifist and non-interventionist
249. 1941, July 15,Herbert Hoover to Mrs. F. B. Harwood TNS
250. 1941, July 18,Robert M. Hutchins to Mrs. F. B. Harwood TNS
251. 1941, Nov. 27,Nelson A. Rockefeller to Wilson F. Harwood TLS re: a position for F. B. Harwood - Inter-American Affairs.
252. 1942, March 17,Pearl S. Buck to Mrs. F. B. Harwood TNS
253. 1946, Oct. 17,Henry A. Wallace to Mrs. F. B. Harwood TLS
254. 1947, July 21,William Rose Benét to Mrs. Harwood ALS
255. 1949, Mar. 31,Winston Churchill - ticket to Boston Address
256. 1950, May 16,Harry Truman to Dael Wolfle TLS re: recommends for membership on Nat. Science Board.
257. 1953, Nov. 11,Adlai E. Stevenson to Mrs. Harwood TNS
258. 1953, Dec. 1,Pres. and Mrs. Eisenhower ptd. invitation to White House reception and gate pass in cvr.
259. 1956, Jan. 21,Detlev W. Bronk, to Wilson F. Harwood TLS
260. 1962, Mar. 1,Sargent Shriver to Mrs. Lee Harwood TNS
1898 - 1906 F. B. Harwood Orders [FRANKLIN Bache Harwood 1876 -]
1. 1898, May 18,Navy Dept. Bur. of Navigation to Franklin B. Harwood stp. A.S. Crowninshield copy present self for line officer exams. Dkt May 23, 1898 TNS H.L.H.[ouison]; May 26, 1898 ANS Allan D. Brown
2. 1898, June 2,Navy Dept. Bur. of Nav. to F. B. Harwood s. [F.W.] Dickins: apptmt as ensign
3. 1898, June 7,Navy Dept. to F. B. Harwood s. Chas. H.Allen (Acting Sec.): orders to report to Scipio Dkt: June 9, 1898 TNS F. M. Bunce, ANS Jno P. Merrell
4. 1898, July 6,John D. Long to Franklin B. Harwood L
5. 1898, Sept 18,J.C. Watson to F.B. Harwood TDS orders to temp. duty on Vulcan. Dkt: Sept, 18 ANS Jno P. Merrell, Sept, ? ANS Ira Harris, Sept. 20, ANS Jno P. Merrell.
6. 1899, March 29,Treas. Dept. Aud. for Navy Dept. to F.B. Harwood s. F.H. Morris
7. 1899, Aug. 1,Treas. Dept. to F. B. Harwood TDS s. C.F. Shoemaker: apptmt as cadet, Revenue Cutter Service
8. 1899, Aug. 7,Treas. Dept. to F. B. Harwood s. Asst Sec. O.L. Spaulding TDS report to Chase Dkt. 8/14 ANS E. C. Ch, ANS O.C. Hamlet
9. 1899, Aug. 7,Lyman Gage to Franklin B. Harwood LS
10. 1900, Oct. 19,Rev. Cutter Service Report of Averages Cadet Exam
11. 1901, Aprl 23,Treas. Dept. To F.B. Harwood s.Asst. Sec. O.L. Spaulding report to Onondaga 4/30 ANS David [F.] Hall Dkt. 5/1 ANS W.C. DeHart
12. 1901, Aug. 6,C.F. Shoemaker to F.B. Harwood, TDS apptmt as 3rd lieut.
13. 190., Sept. 13,C.F. Shoemaker to F. B. Harwood, TNS and ANS 9/14 W.C.DeHart
14. 1901, Sept 26,Treas. Dept. to F. B. Harwood s. O.L. Spaulding, Act. Sec. 9/27 ANS W.C. DeHart; temp. leave.
15. 1902, April 17,Treas Dept to FBH s. Act. Sec - O.I Spaulding, 4/18 ANS W.C. DeHart, 4/25 ANS W.D. Roath: report to Hamilton
16. 1902, April 18,H.A. Taylor (Asst. Sec) to FBH-telre: leave; with AN [Harwood] on verso
17. 1902, May 15,Treas, Dept To FBH
18. 1902, May 24,C.F. Shoemaker to FBH TNS
19. 1902, June 2,Treas. Dept. to FBH
20. 1902, July 12,C.F. Shoemaker to FBH TNS
21. 1902, July 29,Treas. Dept. Act. Sec. (O.L. Spaulding to FBH TNS 7/31 ANS W.D.Roath
22. 1902, Aug. 18,Treas. Dept. to FBH s. H.A. Taylor
23. 1902, Oct. 17,Treas. Dept. O.L. Spaulding - Act. Sec. - to FBH DS; ANS 10/19 W.D.Roath: assigned to Forward Dkt: 10/31 ANS F.S. Van BosKerk, Jr.
24. 1902, Oct. 23,Treas. Dept. ptd. Circ. 1tr. No. 3 to Officers of Revenue Cutter Service
25. 1902, Oct. 29,W.D. Roath to FBH TNS
26. 1902, Dec. 3,Treas. Dept. to FBH s. O.L.Spaulding report to Boutwell for temp. duty; 12/05 ANS W.S. Howland, Dkt. 12/8 ANS J. A. Sla[?]
27. 1903, Jan. 6.Treas. Dept to F. B. Harwood s. O.L. Spaulding temp. duty Onondaga Dkt. 1/11 ANS J.A. Sla[?], 1/22 ANS Worth[G.] Ross
28. 1903, Jan. 8,Treas. Dept. to F.B. Harwood s. O.L. Spaulding
29. 1903, Jan. 12,O.L. Spaulding to F.B. Harwood tel.
30. 1903, Jan. 15,[H].A. or B. A. Tayler to F.B. Harwood tel.
31. 1903, Jan. 19,H. A. Tayler to F.B. Harwood tel.
32. 1903, Feb. 7,C.F. Shoemaker to F. B. Harwood TNS
33. 1903, Feb. 24,Treas. Dept. to F.B. Harwood s.O.L. Spaulding report to Bear 2/25 ANS Worth G. Ross, 3/23 ANS F. Tuttle
34. 1903, May 28,C.F. Shoemaker to F. B. Harwood TNS
35. 1904, Mar. 12,J.F.Wild to F.B. Harwood TNS to report for exam for 2nd 1t.
36. 1904, Mar. 15,F. Tuttle to F.B. Harwood carbon signed
37. 1904, April 30,C. F. Shoemaker to F.B. Harwood TLS promotion to 2nd 1t., exam marks
38. 1904, May 4,C.F. Shoemaker to F.B. Harwood TLS
39. 1904, July 12,Treas. Dept to F.B. Harwood s.R.B. Armstrong report to Manning 7/21 ANS F. Tuttle; ANS O.D. [Wyrick] on verso
40. 1904, Dec. 8,Treas. Dept. to F.B. Harwood s. R.B. Armstrong
41. 1904, Dec. 20,C.F. Shoemaker to F.B. Harwood TNS transmits 2nd 1t. cmmn.
42. 1905, Oct. 3,Worth G. Ross to F.B. Harwood TNS
43. 1905, Nov. 4,HA Tayler to F.B. Harwood tel. ANS F. tuttle
44. 1905, Nov. 5,F. Tuttle to F. B. Harwood TNS temp. duty McCulloch ANS J.C. Cantwell
45. 1905, Nov. 9,Treas. Dept. to F.B. Harwood s. H.A. Tayler
46. 1905, Dec. 22,Treas. Dept to F.B. Harwood s. H.A. Tayler
47. 1906, Jan. 4,Worth G. Ross to F. B. Harwood TNS
48. 1906, June 8,Treas. Dept. to F.B. Harwood s. H.A. Tayler
1. Poem by John Edmund Harwood - W. Whitesides
2. Augustin Pyrame A[ustin] P[yramus] de Candolle to Bache -in French ALS
3. Von Humbolt to  -in French? ALS
4. Theodore Parker to  ALS
5. Aug. 30,James C. Dobbin to Edward ALS
6. James C. Dobbin to Edward ALS
7. Nov. 4,H. Guy C. Corbin to Geo. S. Wilson ALS
8. L. Murel(?) to Harwood ALS
9. Christmas day, Frank Taylor to Harwood ALS
10. Cyrus Wakeham to  ALS
11. Charles Lion to  ALS
12. Commander Casy to Harwood in 3rd person
13, [Geo. S. Wilson] Adf. of speech or paper re: Kansas Commandery of the Loyal Legion
14. The Ladder of St. Augustine, poem by Henry W. Longfellow ADS
15. (James Brander) Brandes Matthews to Dear Madame LS
16. envelope of recipes of my Grandmother's [?] d. 1901
1. The High Priest of Tahiti Ceding the District of Matavai to Capt. Wilson, for the Missionaries; Fisher, Son and Co. London 1829.Engr. by H. Robinson, Painted by R. Smirke A. R. A.
2. Andw. A. Harwood photo with signature
3. Benjamin Franklin Engraved by T. B. Welch from the portrait by Martin in possession of the Amer, Phil. Soc. Facs. Signature James H. Lamb Co.
4. Basso rilievo del Muses di Siracusa engraving
5. Adml. Van Troup engraving J. Chapman [sculp.] Published as the Act directs April 2, 1798.
6. Lt. Gen. Sir Rufane Shawe Donkin, K.C.B. and G.C. H w facs. sign. Engv. W. Holl, Painter - H. Mayer Fisher, Son and Co. London 1831.
7. Maj. Gen. Wm. Moultrie engraving (proof)? some pencil lines
8. Horatio, Viscount Nelson, Engagement off Cape St. Vincent 1797. Painter - Hoppner, Engvr. J. Rogers, J.&F. Tallis, London and Glasgow
9. John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent, OB. 1823.Engvr. H. Robinson from the original of Hoppner, in His Majesty's Collection. London, Published Aug. 1, 1830by Harding and Lepard. Pall Mall East.
10. Sir Thomas Munro Bart. K.C.B. Painted by M. A. Shee P.R.A., Engvr. H. Meyer facs. sig. Fisher, Son and Co. London 1830
11. General Oglethorpe - engraving, Ravenet sculp.
12. Maj. Gen. Sullivan - engraving, facs. sig. (proof?) some pencil work.
13. Capt. James Newman Newman, R.N. Engraved by E. Scriven, Historical Engraver to the Prince Regent & the princess of Wales. From a painting by A.J. Olive A.R.A., Published Oct. 30th, 1813by Joyce Gold, Nava Chronicle Office 103 Shoe Lane London
14. Nelson. Engrvd by E. Scriven from a miniature for which Lord Nelson Set to Mr. Bowyer. Pub. 9th Dec. 1805by R. Bowyer PallMall
15. Capt. Sir John Ross R.N. Knt. K.S. etc.etc. facs. sig. Drawn by Thomas H. Shepherd. Engrvd by W.Watkins London: Geo. Virtue
16. Sr. Edward Hawke Knight of the Most Honble Order of the Bath, and Rear Admiral of the White Squadron of His Majesty's Fleet. For the Lond: Mag. Printed for R. Baldwin in Pater Noster Row.
17. Charles II. engraving
18. Lord Viscount Howe, Argus sculp. European Mag. Publ Nov. 1, 1782by I. Fielding, Pater-Noster Row, I. Sewell, Cornhill, & I. Debrett. Piccadilly.
19. The Rt. Honble Alexander Hood, Viscount Bridport, K.B. facs. signature. Painted by L.F. Abbott, Engrvd by S. Freeman. Fisher, Son & Co., London, 1832.
20. Capt. James Cook. F.R.S. The Most Striking Likeness of the Late --- engraving. He was Born at Marton in the North Riding of Yorkshire Nov. 3, 1728,and unfortunately Killed by the Savages of the Island OWhyhee, Feb. 14, 1779.
21. William-Carr Beresford, D.C.L. Viscount Beresford. facs. sig. Sir Wm. Beechey, R.A., P.W.Tomkins, Esq. Fisher, Son & Co. London 1830
22. John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent. K.B. facs. sig. I(or J) Keenan J. Cochran, Fisher, son & Co. London 1929
23. Sir Edward Cadrington, G.C.B. etc. etc. Vice Admira of the White Squadron of His Majesty's Fleet. facs. sig. Painted by Sir Thos. Lawrence P.R.A. Engrvd by J. Cochran Fisher, Son & Co. London 1830
24. The Late lieut. Gen. Alexander MacKenzie Frazer engraving
25. Louis Philippe I. King of the French. Born in Paris Oct. 6, 1773.engraving F. Gerard, Pinxt. Delivered Grates to the Purchasers of the Bell's New Weekly Messenger Jan. 14th & 15th 1837
26. Sr. Geo. Rooke engraving Benoist sculp.
27. James Biddle Esqr. Of the United States Navy. Wood del. Gunbrede sculpt. Engraved for the Analectic Mag. Publ. by M. Thomas.
28. Sir Thomas Picton. G.C.B. facs. sig. Painted by Sir Wm. Beechey, R.A. Engraved by P.W. Tomkins Fisher, Son & Co. London, 1830
29. Major Gen. David Stewart of Garth. J. Watson Gordon J.B. Shaw. Publ. by Blackie & Son, Glasgow
30. Nelson. facs. sig. W. Read sculpt. London Publ. by Richard Bentley 1836
31. Earl Howe engraving
32. Admiral Vernon Benoist sculp.
33. Edward, Duke of Kent & Strathearn, K.G. - K.T. - K. St. P. etc. facs. sig. Painted by Sir Wm. Beeche R.A. Engraved by E.Scriven Fisher, Son & Co. London 1830pencilled notes, biog. & descriptive
34. Lord Nelson-engraving
35. Sir John Franklin Capt. R.N. facs. sig. Derby Thomson Fisher, Son & Co. London 1830
36. Gen. Abercrombie European Mag. Ridley sc., Pub. by J. Sewell 32 Cornhill July 1, 1801.
37. Lord Cochrane R. Cooper sc.
38. The Rt. Honble Lord Collingwood. Engrvd by Ridley by permission of Messrs. Clay & Scriven European Mag. Publ. by J. Asperne at the Bible, Crown & Constitution, Cornhill, June 1, 1810.
39. Henry William Paget. Marquess of Anglessey. K.G. etc., Lord Lieut.-Gen. and Gen-Governor of Ireland, etc. facs. sig. Painted by Sir Thos. Lawrence,Engraved by S. Freeman Fisher, Son & Co. London 1831.
40. The Rt. Hon. Lieut. Gen. Sir Geo. Murray.G.C.B. F.R.S. etc. facs. sig. Painted by Sir Thos. Lawrence P.R.A. Engraved by H. Meyer,Fisher, Son & Co. London 1831
41. Il Fonte Crane la Pisma?engraving proof
42. Il Fonte Aretresa G.P.? engraving proof
43. Benjamin Franklin photo of oil by Duplessis
44. John Hancock facs. sig. Engraved by I.B. Forrest, Painted by J. Herring from the orig. by J.S.Copley in Faneuil Hall.
45. John Caldwell Calhoun facs. sig. Engraved by T.B. Welch from a Drawing by J.B. Longacre
46. [Duke of Cumberland, Bro. of Geo. III] engraving
47. Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham OB 1624 Engrvd by J. Jenkins From the orig. in the collection of the Rt. Honble the Earl of Verulam. Publ. by Harding, Triphock & Lepard, Finsburg Square London April 1, 1825.
48. William the Fourth engraving?proof
49. Lieut. Gen. Sir Ralph Abercromby K.B. facs. sig. Painted by J. Hoppner, R.A. Engrvd by H.D.Cook Fisher, Son & Co. London 1831
50. Cuthbert Collingwood. Baron Collingwood facs. sig. Painted by F. Howard Esqr. Engrved by W. Finden Fisher, Son & Co. London 1832.
51. Capt. Jos. Huddart. F.R.S. Painted by John Hoppner, Esqr, RA Engrvd by James Stow From a picture in the Possession of Chas. Turner Esqr. (4×4×3×4ft.). London; publ. 2nd Nov. 1801by Lauris & Whittle, Fleet Street & Charles Turner of Limehouse Ptd. by J. Collins 
52. James Abram Garfield Pres. of the United States 1881,John A. Lowell Bank Note Co. Boston USA Copyright 1910
53. Amerigo Vespucci, pencil drawing for (or from) an etching [Teschiero] L'originale existe [UNK] [UNK] Reale di Firenze
54. _____ photo Civil War officer (navy)
55. _____ 3 mounted photos Civil War period (navy offr. cntr.)
56. _____ photo pre-Civil War officer
57. _____ photo pre-Civil War officer -army (Brady photo)
58. [F.B. Harwood?] photo pre-Civil War officer -navy (ensign?)
59. Sophia Dallas Bache photo
60. [Burke?] photo -navy
61. _____ photo of painting of woman
62. H. P. Babcock photo -navy Asst. Surg.
63. _____ photo -mounted man and woman
64. [Stringham -lft.; Van Brunt -rt.?] photo -mounted
65. [Stringham?] photo -mounted
66. [? -top; Winfield Scott -bottom?] photo -mounted
67. _____ photo -mounted -navy
68. _____ photo -mounted -navy
69. _____ photo -mounted - woman
70. W. Gould Turkish Bath Smyrna 1954 Dozing Crisis water color photo [of Gould?]
71. _____ photo -navy
72. Monument erected at the Navy Yard Washington. Engrvd. for the Analectic Magazine and Naval Chronicle. Published by M. Thomas
73. David Porter Esqr. of the United States Navy. Wood. Pinxt. Edwin sc. Engraved for Analectic Magazine Published by M. Thomas.
74. Commodore Barney Wood. Pinxt. Childs & Gunber sc.
75. Oliver H. Perry Esq. of the United States Navy Waldo pinxit. Edwin sc. Engraved for Analectic Magazine - Entered according to Act of Congress 18__.
76. Lewis Washington Esqr. of the United States Navy Jarvis Pinxt. Gambrede Sculpt. Engraved for the Analectic Mag. - Published by M. Thomas. Copy Right Secured According to Act of Congress Oct. 2, 1815.Printed by Rogers & F._____
77. James Lawrence Esqr. Late of the United States Navy Stuart pinxt. Rollinson sct. Engraved for the Analectic Mag.
78. [Martha Washington] Engraved by J.B. Longacre from an original miniature by Robertson -in possession of G.W.P. Custis.
79. Young woman Engraved by J. Cheney & J.G. Kellogg
80. James Madison Aged 82 facs. sig. Engraved by T.B. Welch from a drawing by J.B. Longacre taken from life at Montpelier Va. July, 1833.
81. _____ Painted by J.W. Jarvis Engraved by T. Woolnoth.
82. Margaret Wilson and Marian Huntington (d. of C.P.) ca. 1905.Chutes San Francisco Souvenie Tin Type.
83. [U.S.Grant] Daguerreotype by M.B. Brady Engraved by R. Whitechurch.
84. Nathaniel Parker Willis photo & typed biog. note
85. _____ photo
86. George Polhill engraved portrait & ptd. calling card.
87. [A.A. Harwood] photo
88. Franklin D. Roosevelt engraved portrait
89. [James Monroe?] Engrvd by A.B. Durand from the painting by J. Vanderlyn in the City Hall New York
90. Col. Wm. Duane engraved portrait
91. [Alexander Hamilton] Engrvd by E. Prud'homme from the original miniature by Arch. Robertson.
1. John A. Barney autograph with engraved portrait
2. Benjamin Franklin engraved portrait on verso of #1
3. Charles Cotesworth Pinkney, Autograph and engraved portrait
4. H[enry] Knox autograph and engraved portrait
5. Thomas Pinckney autograph and engraved portrait and typed biog. sketch
6. Thomas Pinkney verso Timothy Pickering 2 autographs engraved portrait & typed biog. sketch.
7. Thomas Truxton autograph salutation & sig. & engrvd. pic. of medal.
8. Edward Preble Autograph, engraved portrait & pic. of medal
9. Stephen Decatur auto. engrvd portrait, & sig. of James [Barron]
10. David Porter auto. & salutation, engrvd portrait
11. James Lawrence auto, engrvd portrait, typed biog. sketch verso ptd. map Battle of Lake Erie 9/10, 1813
12. O.H. Perry auto. Aug. 11, 1815 &engraved portrait
13. Thomas Macdonough sal. A. & engraved portrait
14. Joseph Story sal. A. & engraved portrait
15. Henry Middleton A & typed biog. sketch
16. Daniel D. Tompkins A & sal. & sig.
17. J. J. Nicholson A. 2 Aug. 1824
18. Andrew A. Harwood sig. & photo & sig. & sal. of E.A. DeVallette
19. Basil Hall sig.
20. Edward Livingston sal., sig., engraved portrait, typed biog.
21. William John Duane A. sentiment S.
22. George Cruikshank 1837autograph on a title page & an illus. by G.C. of Robinson Crusoe
23. R.B. Hayes sig. on card 18__
24. D. Duane sig. [sister of E.F. Bache]
25. Gertrude Atherton ALS n.d.to _____? #84
26. Nancy Astor sig. (Vicountess) & clip
27. Archibald MacLeish sig. on title page of ptd. addre
28. cvr. for A. Lincoln doc.
29. Robert A. Millikan - A.
30. Gertrude Atherton - A.
31. Joseph H. Choate ALS to E. Denman McNear 11Jan, 1916 re: Alpha Delta Phi
32. Wm. S. Sims A. Newport, R.I. June, 1923
33. Richard Halliburton A. & sentiment to Wilson Harwood
34. Gertrude Atherton 1931A. on Hamlin School p.c.
35. J. _____ Esq. (32) A.
36. Frances Hodgson Burnett A. 1/92
37. Chs. C. Turner A.
38. Fedrika Bremer Auto.
39. _____lina de Murskc_____ A.
40. C.W. Cadman A.
41. Louis Adamic A. 1940
42. Chas. Gordon A.
43. Geo. W. _____ A. (27)
44. T. Vaughan SR A. on Regent's Park admission ticket.
45. Algernon S. Sullivan to Margaret ANS
46. J.A. Garfield autograph
47. Calvin Coolidge A. on White House card
48. Fanny Janauschek A. San Francisco June, 1865
49. B. M. Boyer M.C. A. & photo
50. Alexander V. Griswold A. & facs., engraved portrai
51. Frances Hodgson Burnett [facs.?] AQS from Little Lord Fauntleroy n.d.
52. Franklin Harwood calling card sig.
53. Woodrow Wilson Autograph
54. Napoleon III, imperial cover to Murat
55. _____Exec. Mansion cvr. to Miss Harwood (28)
56. A.D_____ sig. to Lt. Andrew A. Harwood Legation at Naples
57. Lt. Gen. Bernard ptd. calling card
58. G.B_____ Autograph San Francisco June 10, 1878
59. Vivian Burnett A. & quote
60. Dept. of State cvr. 1894to G.S. Wilson
61. Henry M. Stanley A. -?facs.
62. Horatio Alger, Jr. A.
63. E. Sothern (actor) A.
64. H. J. Montague A. & typed biog. note
65. W. M. Crane A. & photo (naval officer)
66. Dion Boncica[net] or [relt]? Irish actor A. & typed biog. note
67. [David] KalaKaua A. & typed biog. note
68. T. Adolphus _____ A. & sal.
69. U.S. Grant A.
70. Grover Cleveland A. Feb. 21, 1887 &Frances Folsom Cleveland A. Feb. 15, 1887.
71. Mahlon Dickerson A.
72. L. L. Lomax A. & typed biog. note
73. Louis M. Goldsborough A. & photo & typed biog.note
74. A. H. Foote 2 A. photo
75. S. F. DuPont 2 autographs A.date 1/1/1863photo
76. W.T. Sherman autograph, typed biog. note, engrvd portrait
77. Hugh McCulloch autograph, typed biog. note
78. R.W. Gilder Auto. (check Endorsement)
79. E. Everett A. typed biog. note, engrvd portrait
80. A.D. Bache A., typed biog. note
81. M.C. Perry A. etc.
82. C.G. [Perry] A.
83. [Catalyna?] [Totten?] A.
84. Major Sabine [A.]?
85. Charles Danberry A., typed biog. note
86. Tho. Sergeant 2 A. & typed biog. note
87. [John] Phillips AN frag., typed biog. note.
88. John G. Whittier A. & addressed to Grosvenor M. Robinson Apr. 1, 1882
89. I. H. Hill A., typed biog. note
90. R.W. Emerson A. & mag. photo
91. R. J. Walker A. (frank) mag. photo, verso unidentified engraved portrait
92. H. Clay A., engraved portrait, verso - engraved portrait of Calhoun
93. H. M. Kilgore ANS n.d.
94. V. B[ush] ANS n.d.
95. [C. Lion; or C. Iren; or Cyrus W_____]? cvr. addressed to Harwood & _____
96. _____ cvr. addressed to Harwood
97. Marie Carie, photograph
98. Casper Nista engraved portrait and photograph
99. Thomas Jefferson, on engrave
Letter Book, May 24, 1803.Copies of letters sent by John E. Harwood and poems by John E. Harwood.
Inspection Book, Ordnance. Book maintained by Powell at the Washington Navy Yard, 1846-.
Scope and Content Note
General-Orders. General orders inscribed in long hand, probably by Stephen B. Luce.
A.A. Harwood's log on the U.S. Frigate Constitution, 1826,1 vol. (Vol. 2nd)
Framed Items and Oversize
1. 1722, May 8,Land Patent George I of Eng. to John Depuy land in Orange Co. N.Y. (2000 acres) s. [W.] Babin, SEC On verso 2 ads repts s. Arch d. Kennedy to John Depuy, 7/19, 1727, and Sept. 15, 1736,Rept. ADS [?] deputy recr. gen. to Mrs. Anne Depuy June 28, 1746,to Thomas Preston Sept. 11, 1756.Sig. of Gilliland and This belongs to Joseph M. _____ 1795/.
2. 1758, May 8.Endenture - land in Orange Co. N.Y. Francis Many and wife Margaret of Philadelphia, to Thomas Preston of Philadelphia. s. Francis Many, Margaret Many, John David, Jno. Reily, John Kirke.
3. 1764, Jan. 7.Indenture for land in Orange Co. N.Y. John Peter [Tetard] and wife Frances and William Gilliland s. J.S. Tetard, Fr. Tetard, Robert [Pillson], and W. Cunningham, William Smith
4. [Boston Newspaper] 1 sheet ptd. by Green and Russell July 1766
5. Society of the Cincinnati Membership Cert. for Samuel Snow Esqr. Jan. 1, 1784s. Geo. Washington same as above for Benjamin Franklin July 1789s. & Washington
6. Newport Marine Soc. cert. membership of Peleg Wood Jan. 7, 1794s. Benjamin Sayer and Jenkin G. Warner 7/25/73
7. General Advertiser (Philadelphia) Mon. Dec. 22, 1794 Pub.by Benjamin Franklin Bache
8. The Newport (Rhode Island) Mercury Publisher- Henry Barber Tues. April 26, 1796
9. The Newport Mercury Tues. May 2, 1797
10. The Newport Mercury Tues. Aug. 29, 1797
11. Michigan Essays; or The Impartial Observer (Detroit) Vol. 1, No. 1 Thurs. Aug. 31, 1809.Ptd. and Pub. by James M. Miller
12. A.A. Harwood Appointment as midshipman Jan. 1, 1818s. James Monroe, Wm. Blagrove, P.W. [Crowninshield] framed - on top
A.A. Harwood appointment Lieutenant Feb. 21, 1828s. J.Q. Adams, Saml. L. Southard, R.B. [Maury]
13. Paris - ptd. map 1837Leclere
Rhode Island Historical Society member certificate A.A. Harwood, July 5, 1841John Howland, [W.R.?] Staples.
14. A.A. Harwood appointment Commander Oct. 4, 1848s. James K. Polk, J. Y. Mason, L.B. Hardin
15. Andrew A Harwood appointment Commander Feb. 9, 1849s. James K. Polk, J.Y. Mason, L.B. Hardin
Alfred Wheeler appointment U.S. Attorney General for Southern California Feb. 10, 1852
16. A.A. Harwood, appointment. Captain Oct. 2, 1855s. Franklin Pierce, J.C. Dobbin, L.B. Hardin
17. Andrew A. Harwood apptmt. Captain July 24, 1856S. [Franklin Pierce], J.C. Dobbin, L.B. Hardin
18. A. A. Harwood Apptmt Chief of Bur. of Ordinance and Hydrography in the Dept. of the Navy Aug. 9, 1861s. Abraham Lincoln, Gideon Welles., Wm. Pelloran oversize
19. A. A. Harwood apptmt Commodore Feb. 21, 1863s. Abraham Lincoln, Gideon Welles. Wm. P. Moran
20. George S. Wilson 1st Lt. Cmmn. 17th Indiana Vols. Apr. 26, 1864s. O.P. Marten, Laz. Noble. glued to mat
21. Henry W. Harwood apptmt 3rd Lt. Revenue Service Mar. 7, 1865s. Abraham Lincoln, Geo. Harrington
22. Henry W. Harwood apptmt 2nd Lt. Revenue Service June 4, 1866s. Andrew Johnson, Hugh McCulloch
23. George S. Wilson apptmt 2nd Lt. 12th Regt. Inf. June 10, 1868s. Andrew Johnson J. M. Schofield, E.D. Townsend
24. Andrew A. Harwood apptmt Rear Adm. Returned Feb. 16, 1869s. Andrew Johnson, Gideon Welles, Wm. P. Moran
25. Henry W. Harwood apptmt 1st Lt. Revenue Service Apr. 10, 1871s. U.S. Grant, Geo. S.Boutwell
26. George S. Wilson apptmt 1st Lt. 12th Inf. Jan. 12, 1877s. U.S. Grant, J.D. Cameron, E. D. Townsend
27. Military Order of the Loyal Legion memb. cert. of Geo. S. Wilson Mar. 1, 1885s. [W. S.] Hancock, W.R. Smedberg, John P. Nicholson
28. George S. Wilson apptmt Capt. 12th Inf. Aug. 9, 1886,s. Grover Cleveland Wm. C. Endicott, R.C. Drum.
29. Geo. S. Wilson apptmt AAG., Major Dec. 12, 1893s. Grover Cleveland, Daniel S. Lamont, Geo. Hughes
30. Atlas (26) 1894Pt. XXVI
31. Atlas (34) to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies Wh. G.P.O. 1895Pt. XXIV
32. Franklin B. Harwood apptmt 3rd Lt. RCS Aug. 2, 1901s. William McKinley, L.J. Gage
33. Franklin B. Harwood apptmt 2nd Lt. Revenue Cutter Service May 3, 1904s. Theodore Roosevelt, L.M. Shaw
34. Oakland Tribune Extra Apr. 18, 1906Earthquake
35. San Francisco Examiner Nov. 11, 1918(16pp) Germany Surrenders
37. Thomas Jefferson engr. portrait and autograph. Engraved by H.B. Hall from an original portrait by G. Stuart. BOX 4 - FRAMED ITEMS